Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am having to wire my wipers from scratch. Who ever had the car before cut all the wires. I have installed a new harness (aftermarket)I looked at the book at AZ and also used my 76 trucks wiring as a guide. I applied power to the system today. Everything worked fine except the wipers run all the time regardless of switch position. The switch is good. If anyone has rewired their wipers before and know where the wires go, I would greatly appreciate your help.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If you disconnect the black wire, from the switch, do they still run? I assume they are changing speeds.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the power wire from the wiper motor. I put the power wire on the middle terminal on the three wire connector to the motor when I wired it.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Can't be sure until later on which one is which. I think that is right. There were some drawings by Elree Colby posted before but they seem to have lost.
Lifting the ground wire off the switch should shut it off. The motor works by grounding the other wires on the switch.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well does anyone know what terminal the power wire on the 3 wire connector on the wiper motor goes? Right now I have it on the center term. looking down on it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
help, i'm drowning

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Didn't have a chance to look last night. Did you ever try opening the ground wire at the switch? That should turn the motor off.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, pulling the ground at the switch will turn the motor off. I am not sure if I have the motor wired properly. I ahave the power wire going to the center terminal. Each wire on either side goes back to the switch. I am pretty sure my problem is at the motor. I think possibly the power wire is on the wrong terminal and is feeding back thru the windings and getting a ground regardless of switch position. These motors are a little expensive, and i don't want to expeirment much with it, but if I have too, I guess I will just have too do that.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Yeah, know what you mean. Still think the yellow is the center but nothing with me to check. Notes from a post Elree put up one time.

The 68-72 hideaway wiper system.

1. Wiper switch. (grounds the three attached wires as follows)
Light Blue- grounded in Low-speed and Hi-speed positions.
Black- grounded in Low-speed and Off positions.
Dark Blue- grounded when pushed for washer pump operation.

2. Run solenoid. The Light Blue wire is grounded to lock out the park (mechanically prevents the wipers from being driven to the park position) and close the run/park switch.

3. Shunt winding. This winding is parallel to the armature winding.

4. Series winding. This winding is in series with the armature and shunt windings.

5. Run/Park switch. Closed when the run solenoid is energized (Light Blue wire grounded) or when the run solenoid is de-energized and wipers are not in park position.

6. Wash pump start coil. When the Dark Blue wire is grounded this coil latches the wash pump for one cycle.

7. Shunt winding resistor. Grounds the shunt winding during high-speed operation, bypassed (Black wire grounded) during low-speed and park.

8. Wiper motor fuse (25 amp) in fuse block. Has +12 VDC when ignition switch is in run or accessory position.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i will look at this and see if it helps, I have quit playing for the day, so i willgo out in am and see how I wired it. i know the connector on the back of the sw. is L shaped, so I assume that the wire that is on the short leg of the L is the one that goes to ground. Anyway I'll look at it some more. I don't have much wiring left to do. I just need to get the eng. in and finish up so I can crank the beast.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
If it will help you this is the pic that goes along with the info. This is a pic of the 72 wiper switch connector. The black -A wire needs to be grounded,it grounds the switch. Dark blue -B, black -C and light blue -D.

1. Wiper switch. (grounds the three attached wires as follows)
Light Blue- grounded in Low-speed and Hi-speed positions.
Black- grounded in Low-speed and Off positions.
Dark Blue- grounded when pushed for washer pump operation.

I don't have a good pic of the motor, Coppertop has a drawing of the motor that would be good for this but I can't find it.

Yes the power goes to the center terminal. The top left (driver side) gets the light blue, the bottom right gets the black.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I guess i ck'd the mail to early. I already have gone out and figured it out, and your diagram is correct. oh well didn't take long to figure out.Thank you for the info though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts