Team Chevelle banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this mirror packed away in a box with a tag saying 72 Chevelle. Its a 12" mirror in perfect condition, black metal back and black rubber mounting. Its stamped "Guide Glare Proof " on the top along with some other numbers and " Made In USA" on the bottom. It had never been mounted but I used it on my 70 while I had my original resilvered. Was wondering what its worth if it is a NOS mirror without a box. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
OPG is selling the stock '72 mirror, stainless, day/night for $58, on sale. Looks just like my original.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I have been told the stainless backed mirrors were replaced by the black ones sometime during the 72 production run. Do the repo's have the correct stampings or are they the made in China ones?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Very nice hard to find mirror. Chevelles received the non_glare black mirror in 72. It was a safety measure to reduce reflection for oncoming traffic. It's a $200 dollar mirror, probably more if you had a GM box. The "new" ones are made overseas and are very hard to even find in black. I'd be all over that if I didn't sell my 72 ss.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sam. That was kind of what I thought. I was watching one on ebay with the box bring $300. I thought the black backed mirror was rare on account it was a 72 piece. I've read that not all 72's had the black mirror and it was a later release thing. I have seen some early original 72's with the stainless backed mirror.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one is stamped "Made in USA" on the lower edge by the dimmer lever. Same place my original 70 stainless one is. I was going to rob the glass from this one for my 70 and decided to send mine out to be resilvered for $15. I hope someone with a 72 can use it.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Yes, I am resurrecting and old post. I am glad this information is available. I am getting ready to send my Gold 72's black mirror out for restoration, this must be a late 72 change as my early 72 has a chrome backed mirror.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
This change over did not take place until around November or December of 71.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yes, I am resurrecting and old post. I am glad this information is available. I am getting ready to send my Gold 72's black mirror out for restoration, this must be a late 72 change as my early 72 has a chrome backed mirror.
Just wondering if you found someone to re-do your mirror. I just stopped by an excellent local shop, and they told me they could not replace the glass in it, and that nobody in our area re-silvers any longer, because the last guy that did it ended up dying from expose to the process. They told me the only thing they could do was glue a new piece of glass over top the old glass. I broke the incorrect (for my car) chrome back mirror I had been using, and I have two of the correct black backed ones, but both have glass that would either need to be re-silvered or replaced. If I can't get one of these done properly, do I run one of the de-silvered ones, run an incorrect chrome repop , paint a chrome repop black, or let them glue the glass on?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well, that's NOT happening. I cannot justify sinking that much money into a rearview mirror for MY car, but at least it shows that it can be done. Was the glass replaced, or repaired?

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Well, that's NOT happening. I cannot justify sinking that much money into a rearview mirror for MY car, but at least it shows that it can be done. Was the glass replaced, or repaired?
The glass was replaced.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
The car in the pic has a silver mirror, you can get those for $35-$50 aftermarket. Getting specialty glass cut is expensive.Black mirrors are not available aftermarket.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have two of the black ones, but both need new glass and repainted. I also have have the chrome one I broke. I'm hoping I can use the broken chrome one to learn how to fix one of the black ones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts