Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have my first project car 72 4 door chevelle malibu with a 350 and 350 turbo trans. Bought it after It sat for maybe 10 plus years wouldn't start, spark or turn over. So far I replaced the battery, spark plugs, cap and rotor and then whole distributor. Finally got spark but no fire up, cleaned the carb and got a new fuel pump now she starts up and dies everytime after 1 second. I'm lost at what to check next, like I said this is my first project car. I think it could be a wiring issue or maybe a vacuum leak I'm gonna look around for that tonight. Any tips on what I should check next? Also do you think I have a trans issue if I turn the key over and try to put it in gear it only makes it as far as where neutral would be then she feels stuck any further down

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Try running it on fresh gas out of a temporary tank. I'd get it running correctly then move onto the trans. Don't forget about the brakes.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Yes new fuel from a small fuel can attached to the fuel pump inlet would help. When the carb has fuel, you could rotate the throttle linkage at the carb and should see the accelerator pump squirt fuel into the throttle body. No fuel likely means the carb is dry and the fuel pump needs to run about 15 seconds. Gum buildup inside the carb could prevent the floats from moving to open the fuel inlet. Careful use of spray starting fluid might help fire up a stale engine.
Also verify the carb choke is properly adjusted and nearly closed when cold. Is yours a factory Rochester carburetor or aftermarket?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts