Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new horn relay. For some reason
only a 72 will fit a 72...64-71s are no good and I cant find any 72s around. I tried generic ones that fit 64-72s but they are no good for my car. I tried OPG, Paddock, Year One etc..no one can get their hands on a 72 horn relay..does anyone know where I can get one and if its the same one used in a 72 Lemans, Cutlass, Skylark etc...
Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
I went to a local parts house and they were good enough to bring out an assortment of them from the shelf and I found one the 72 wire connectors would fit. The physical shape was different but the connections worked fine and it mounted in the same area but only had one screw hole instead of 2.
The correct relay is available at some aftermarkit repo suppliers.

------------------
Elcaminos are special!

I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
another shot of Ol Paint

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sorry, Checked a few books and don't see them listed. Never realized that no one seems to carry them. I also would be interested in where they were used. Can't believe Chevy only put them in the 72 Chevelles.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I bought one for my 72 at a local auto parts store. I think it was around $10 dollars. Any "good" auto parts store should be able to get one for you.

They are very different for the 72 year. It is located on the firewall near the brake master cylinder.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Check out my website:
Bobs 409 Chevy Page

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Out digging around today at the junkyard. The 72 Chevelle horn relay is also used on the 73 Nova. It looks like the 74 Nova also but someone picked that already. Can't check the Nova catalogs because I don't know where my daughter keeps them. Maybe Classic Industries is a source.

·
Registered
337 Posts
They are also the same on a 72 Montecarlo.

Jeff Litka
72 Chevelle SS
72 Montecarlo

·
Registered
934 Posts
Brand new in my area for $6.50+tax.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Check out my website:
Bobs 409 Chevy Page

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Ill be damned if I can find one... NAPA said there are none in the country!! :confused:
It seems that they are unique to 72-73 only.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by hoffbug:
Thanks John.. They had some originals in stock and I ordered one.. Maybe I should have gotten two ;)
So, the NAPA guys told you a story. I'd go back and show them the new one. Actually if you bought 2 you probably would never use the second one. They last a long time. Yep, they are getting tough to find. Haven't found any used ones lately and my supply is getting low.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by riskyvt:
I was able to find a NOS '72 Chevelle horn relay from www.automobilearchives.com

Good Luck!
Gregg
Have you checked with them lately? I tried a couple of weeks ago, probably screwed up, but their site wasn't showing any stock on the part number you listed awhile back. The El Camino Store is the only place I see current stock. Get this question often enough I try to keep current on this.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Originally posted by John_Muha:
Gregg
Have you checked with them lately? I tried a couple of weeks ago, probably screwed up, but their site wasn't showing any stock on the part number you listed awhile back. [/QB]
John-

You might be correct, I had used them for a NOS horn relay back in 2001, so they might be out of them by now. Might have better luck e-mailing them instead of trying to find the part using their web search. I think the Ebay link I posted shows an identical relay (corvette) also used for Chevelles in '72 & '73 only. I looks right anyway....

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
To anyone who reads this.. Forget the El Camino store... They dont have the correct one. Mine came today and its for a 71 and earlier. I called and they realized their mistake .The 72-73 is discontinued. There are no known sources for new nationally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts