Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading the posts about Slime's son's '67, and realized y'all might be the people to ask about a car I am THIS CLOSE to buying: a '72 Chevelle small block 350, newly rebuilt -- 20 miles on the engine, new water cooler, new carburetor, full resto inside ('cept no stereo), bucket seats with a console shifter, headers and a mild cam, Flowmaster muffler ... uh ... what else? California car, no accidents, disc brakes, beauty red with black racing stripes, no dents, no dings.

He's asking $8900, and I'm sorely tempted -- I mean, look what a new Neon costs -- but I've never bought a car before and this will definitely wax out my savings. It's a dealer who specializes in muscle and he'll warranty the car for a year, which also weighs heavy in my decision. I don't know a lot about cars so I can't fix much myself, and knowing that he'll stand by his work means a lot. It's a beautiful car, and it is a straight _blast_ to drive, but is he asking too much? What I'm looking for is a daily driver with a little style, unlike every car constructed in the last 20 years, and this seems to be a great machine. I'd really appreciate your advice, 'cause I've never done this before and I'm _far_ out of my league. I appreciate any help in advance. By the way, I'm in LA, so car prices are higher than elsewhere; time and again I've seen great deals in Tennessee or Maine, but there's just no way to work it.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
seems very reasonable for that type of car especially with that warranty (get it in writing) building my 70 like that will run around the same when im finished if i do the work myself. as for a daily driver you may want to put an O/D tranny in it if you drive a lot of miles this will help out the engine and be ezier on your pocketbook (gas).

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hey Lowly,I guess it's been a while since I've lived on the west coast('91). The reason I say that is, when I saw $8900 I sorta gagged for a moment. I mean it's not an SS!. Well, after thinking about it for a while......I realize now that this is something you really want to do. So, if you can afford it...I would however check around before jumping right in cause I've seen some really awesome deals in SoCal before. By the way, I don't know if I would want my beautiful "new" Chevelle as my only car though(parking lot dings,etc.)Either way I wish you luck!!

------------------
Jungle Jim #105 Gold
70SS396 & 70 Malibu~ Cajun Country,Louisiana~
"Fight the good Fight every moment, every minute,every day. Make it worth the price you pay!"

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
lowlyone
If you like the car,go for it.Its not a ss,but all muscle cars are getting tough to get.And after the year 2000,I think prices will go up some.
this chevelle should be fairly nice for 8900.
get the warranty in writing,some muscle car warrantys prove a little shady!
like stated,shop around,might find a better buy.I was a little to jumpy when I bought my first car(70 ss nova)good day 67RAT member #199

[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 10-10-99).]

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
if it makes you feel any better i paid 24k for mine becasue i wanted a comlpletely done car....but it is gorgeous inside and out and underneath
be sure the performance is what you want...i jumped on mine only to find that this rv cam thing is not meeting my needs so i am looking at fixing this or repowering

rich

[This message has been edited by 70 SS 454 (edited 10-10-99).]

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
Hey Low

I think you could do better for L.A. Check the local auto trader/ free sale papers. Online I found 5 other 70-72 chevelles for less money similarly equipped. Up here in Oregon malibus are still 3-5 grand in decent shape. It always pays to shop around. Also if possible hook up with someone local who knows Chevelles. Good luck!!

------------------
Jeff ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 L78 Project
87 MC SS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everybody, thanks for the advice. I'm going to the guy tonight to see how much I can talk him down, and I think I'll base the decision on that. I've seen some other similar cars in the AutoTrader etc. for cheaper, but most of them require some work or restoration, and there's no way to guarantee what I'm getting; this guy'll warranty it (I'll definitely get that in writing -- thanks for the tip) and the dealer has a really good reputation for this kind of car, so I think it might be worth spending a little more. Anyway, thanks again for all the advice; hopefully soon I'll be the newest Chevelle owner in town!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.