Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the trick to covering a seat back???? Having trouble wrapping material all the way under the bottom to the hog ring spots?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
The trick is to have strong muscles
It really helps to put a plastic bag (like a lawn bag) over it before you slip the cover on. It will let the cover slide on more easily, and also makes it easy to get it all the way down so you can hog ring it.

Did you get the head rest figured out? Posted some pictures, but don't know if they helped or not.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I did figure that part out. I didn't realize that that the foam rolls over as far as it does. Should I start covering from the seat back bottom edge and then peel up over the top?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Do your covers have a back, or are they open? On a -72, I think you have a plastic cover to go on the back, correct?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
If it's open in the back, it should still be shaped like a bag at the top, so that's probably the end where you need to start. No need for the lawn bag trick though, you should be able to cover it in the same way you did the seat bottoms. Hard to tell without seeing it though, maybe someone with a -72 and bucket seats can chime in?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just finished covering the buckets on my 68. You need to remoce the seat back from the seat bottom if you havent already. Then lay the seat back face down and use one hand to push down on the springs and compress them...this will give you more slack to make the vinyl stretch to the hog ring locations.

It is also helpful to hook the hog ring through the vinyl first and push it toward the seat frames...never pull the hog rings toward you as you do this because if the ring tears or slips out you can easily poke your eye out with the pliers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts