Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Bill, I love the 70 GTX as well. The bad news is only 7,748 GTX cars were built in 1970. That the total for US and Canada.
A lot of people don’t realize how limited the Mopar production was in the muscle car era. I believe the following is correct but I’m quoting from memory. During the muscle car era the most models/total production for a single year Mopar was the 1969 Coronet. That year they produced 145,000 give or take. That’s all Coronets, RTs, 4doors, station wagons, etc. In the same year, Chevrolet built over 600,000 Chevelles. So way less cars to start with. I think the number two Mopar as far as production was the 68 Charger, which was 86,000.
My Dad went through his mid life crisis about 2-3 years too early. He bought SS Impala's, 428 Cobrajets Torino's and others but he bought my Mom a 1968 Coronet 500 (Black vinyl roof. yellow and black trim and interior BUT it had a big secret engine. The bad boy 383 Magnum came from the factory with headers, cam and a very loud exhaust system. My Mom traded in her Coupe Deville and when she lite up the Coronet she immediately started crying. ME, I had a huge smile knowing I was soon to get my license. Well I never did get to drive it legally ( I took a few cruises) as they sold it just prior to my getting my license. That was a nice, fast car. Oh, the reason why the car was modified, Chrysler was trying to get away from the 440's knowing what was coming and they made this demo 383 move and that it did.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts