Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine that's half owner of the upholstery shop that did my car picked this up last year and recently started working on it, his neighbor had it in his driveway for a few yrs, it was an orig. 318 4 spd car and had a 440 rebuilt 4 years earlier, new alum rad that never had water in it, new gas tank that never had gas in it, the guy stopped working on it and one day my friend was driving home and seen the guy by the car so stopped and asked if it was for sale? Guy said yes so my friend got out and asked you take $5K cash? Guy said sure so my friend went and picked up a guy that knows mopars (my friend still has his high school 77 Camaro now with a blown ATK 355 or 383 IDR) so mopar guy points out problems and says will you take $4K? Guy says sure so my friend bought, fast forward to now and he had Holley Sniper EFI, Dougs 2" headers with Magnaflow mufflers, CVF polished alum serpintine front drive, ac comp & alt kit, MSD pro billet dist., all new AMD full quarters, doors and fenders installed and primered thats where it's at now, runs great with a RV type cam and he has a new Dakota digital dash getting installed and and since he owns an uph. shop he's putting new stock int. in it then back to get painted the factory Plum Crazy purple and changing the Magnaflow muffs to Spintech muffs, he's up in the air on blk hockey stick 440 stripes or the fading strobe stripes ( my choice) but without AAR and also has a body type trunk lid spoiler not the 2 post type, we were talking about value and neither one of us have a clue so any Mopar guys here that might have a rough guess, he's probably never going to sell but we all know things change, here's a few pics as it sits now I did see the car in the neighbors driveway and it was pretty rusting looking but that's all fixed now

·
Registered
101 Posts
I’m not a Mopar guy but they seem to be high dollar if done well. Do you think it would compare to a Chevelle SS clone?

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really don't know but classics are bringing very good money now, I had a 71 383 pistol grip console 4 spd Cuda in 79-80 and sold it with a broken rod for $75, sure wish I still had the rust/dent free Cuda now, I'm guessing could be equal or more than an SS 72 Chevelle clone?

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Plum Crazy is a sharp color. Mopar had some very nice colors. Im kinda partial to the billboard stripe on the Cuda. Actually I prefer the previous generation ( 68 my favorite) in the fastback Barracuda. Those one doesnt see al the time.i

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
644 Posts
I’m not sure on worth, Rick. I do know that MOPARs bring a premium. I’ve been looking at buying my dad a ‘68 Road Runner, he bought one new. It’ll likely never happen. Too damned expensive.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I also had a 69 383 4 spd bench seat Roadrunner in '78 that I wrecked and bent up the drv side fender, pryed it out with the bumper jack then shortly after ended up throwing a rod in and sold it to Boot Hill Auto Graveyard outside of Cinci. Oh. for $25 lol, me and Mopars never got along, but I'd love to have them now, 2 yrs. ago another friends neighbor had a 68-9 fastback Cuda sitting rotting away in a driveway in a neighborhood that is prone to salt/brackish water flooding and because of that I never bothered stopping to knock on the door, I put a new ac system in for that friend last week and I asked her whatever happened to that Cuda on the corner? but she didn't know, might have been cheap or the BJ syndrome deal lol

·
Registered
688 Posts
If it was a 70 or 71 it would have more value. That being said it looks like it is being done right. I would say 35-45k to right buyer .

Reactions: Diabel1969

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
I also had a 69 383 4 spd bench seat Roadrunner in '78 that I wrecked and bent up the drv side fender, pryed it out with the bumper jack then shortly after ended up throwing a rod in and sold it to Boot Hill Auto Graveyard outside of Cinci. Oh. for $25 lol, me and Mopars never got along, but I'd love to have them now, 2 yrs. ago another friends neighbor had a 68-9 fastback Cuda sitting rotting away in a driveway in a neighborhood that is prone to salt/brackish water flooding and because of that I never bothered stopping to knock on the door, I put a new ac system in for that friend last week and I asked her whatever happened to that Cuda on the corner? but she didn't know, might have been cheap or the BJ syndrome deal lol
Rick,
That sounds like a good friend of mine. Back when we were youguns he had a 68 Roadrunner 383/automatic. He put that car through hell. It didnt handle well. He ended up rolling it on the interstate.
With the previous generation Barracudas used to be very little to no parts reproduced. Dont know if that has changed. I seriously considered getting a 67-69 fastback Barracuda till I realized there was no support and the parts that are available are pricey.
One could allways tell a Mopar starting sight unseen by the sound.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Looks like he is building it right. With the value of those mopars right now I would say high 40s easily.
I've been on the wall of selling my R/T, just not sure if I want to tackle another restoration and knowing it would be the right time to sell. But don't want to regret it a couple years from now.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I was 16 yrs. old 1976 one of my good friends older brother was selling a 67 Coronet R/T 440 mag 4 spd bucket seat for $400 after he bought a 69 Boss 302 4 spd and was doing better with it at the local 1/8th mi. track, so I asked my dad about it and he wanted to see it :cautious: well dad bled Fomoco blue and said NO WAY! I ended up buying his friends 64 T-bird that needed a trans, what a PITA that was but I'd probably would've killed myself in that 67, I had a 73 340 4 spd Duster too and tore the front end out from under it loosing control and running into a deep ditch in the Amelia Oh. area, I had that fixed at the local high school in 78, did I mention me and Mopars didn't get along LOL, I really think my driving was the problem 🤣

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think if I had an old Mopar already finished it would take a very large HUGE stack of cash to sell it, I'm guessing mid $40K would probably be about right, he did get a really good deal buying it with the motor already rebuilt, he doesn't know anything about the rebuild though, compression or power, I told him about a local place that last year $75 got 3 pulls on a chassis dyno W/O tuning so he might do that, I'm thinking it's a hyd. flat tappet cam in there

·
Registered
1966 Malibu, 327, Muncie, 3.55 posi
127 Posts
I have a friend with one of these Cudas in his garage. Has been sitting for probably 25 years. It is in about the same condition as the "Better Off Dead" Camaro. Just a little bit of time and money and it could be running. He's one of those guys that is too busy with life's other things. He also has his 80's Honda Interceptor that needs a little TLC to get running again. Both are camouflaged under sheets and misc garage items.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hidden Gems, hopefully he gets to them before it's to late, I had a little trouble with my last motor swap and very happy I was able to do it at my friends shop that has a 2 post lift and willing guys that hang around theres help, not getting any younger lol

·
Registered
367 Posts
72 isn't the most sought after year, but it's been on the rise. Probably 35-40ish all done. I have a picture somewhere of my friends shop with 2 70 cuda's (1 panther pink) in it, and a B5 blue 1 owner 68 road runner with mid 20,000 original miles on it, as he only drove it in summer months when he first bought it, and then only drag raced it for many years afterwards. This shop owner also had a 67 GTX and a 70 barracuda convertible 383-4 speed car that I helped him sell about 12 or so years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
My first car was a 67 Barracuda Formula S. That little 273 Commando ran 13.56 @106mph with hot 3.91 gears, cam and exhaust. When I wasn’t going fast that fastback provided some good leg room in the back when laid down flat:p. Poor car lost a rod only to die a slow death by fire later. Last year just before I bought the 71 Camaro I looked at a 68 Barracuda Formula S 340 but when I saw some water on the driveway mid block my excitement went away.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
They
I have to wonder if they're more collectible because fewer survived?

I mean, they might be some of the most collectible cars, but they were still.. you know.. Chryslers 😮
They didn't have inner fender wells and rotted out in a minute. They are super cool, but rot boxes. Unless you took care of it (not driving in the winter) they would go away in a few years

·
Registered
12,188 Posts
70 Cuda has to be the toughest looking musclecar ever!
AAR 4 speed, Dana 60 whats not to like.
No clue on value but as said Mopars get good $
I remember when nobody would be caught dead in a 73 or newer, charger etc now its the opposite. Miss the days of buying those cars out of impound for a bill +-

Saw a discussion about an orange SST 401 Javelin how rare/desireable they are. Nobody wanted to be seen in one then. I bought one off a cokehead in the 80s for 400 loved it!

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
I want a 1970 GTX 440 4bbl for my next project but they are out of site price wise. 6 Pak is great but I need AC. Pistol grip is a must. If you know of a reasonable one let me know please.

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Bill, I love the 70 GTX as well. The bad news is only 7,748 GTX cars were built in 1970. That the total for US and Canada.
A lot of people don’t realize how limited the Mopar production was in the muscle car era. I believe the following is correct but I’m quoting from memory. During the muscle car era the most models/total production for a single year Mopar was the 1969 Coronet. That year they produced 145,000 give or take. That’s all Coronets, RTs, 4doors, station wagons, etc. In the same year, Chevrolet built over 600,000 Chevelles. So way less cars to start with. I think the number two Mopar as far as production was the 68 Charger, which was 86,000.

Reactions: Billdini
1 - 20 of 21 Posts