Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a numbers matching 1971 chevelle SS (454). I have two questions, first, did 71SS come with fiberglass or metal inner fender walls? Second, my chevelle has the SS hood, what type air cleaner should I have with that? The air cleaner on my chevelle right now has a chrome lid with the sticker 454 365HP. The base is black and it has dual inlets and one of the inlets has flex tube on it that runs to the exhaust manifold. I haven't seen this air cleaner in any catalog, just want to make sure it's the right one!! Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Your car could have come with either plastic or steel inner fenders, the factory used whatever they had lying around. I'm not sure about the air cleaner, but if it has the tube that runs to the exhaust manifold, chances are it's original.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
I have a theory about plastic inner fenders. Northern delivery cars predominantly got plastic (my 70 conv is from OH). More salt up there.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
DZ,
It would make sense if all northern cars had plastic but here in Canada there are lots of cars that have steel inners. Mine has plastic but both are cracked and need to be replaced, maybe to cold for 70,s plastic or just old. I think it was bolt on what was there, even heard of one of each.

------------------
Rod Jamieson
Lacombe Alberta Canada
Team Chevelle
Gold Member#22
1970 454
[email protected]

·
Registered
934 Posts
I just found a '71 in the junk yard that has one of each. Metal on drivers side and plastic on passenger. Could have been replaced though (accident?).

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
166 Posts
DZ, your theory makes sense, but 3 of my dad's 4 cars from New York had steel inner fenders, and my 71 Cutlass from florida had plastic. All were manufactured in baltimore. I think that if you have both a steel and plastic fender, your car was in an accident. NOS inner steals were still available 10 years ago, because my car came with two of them, they still have the GM stickers. My guess is that a car with one of each had 2 plastics and one got cracked in an accident, which is very possible even in a minor fender bender.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
446 Posts
I really don't think there is a clear pattern to the inner fenders question.
DZ- my 69 was built in Fremont for delivery in the Bay Area. No snow there, but it came with the plastic inners.
And from past discussions on this subject, there are a few one owner cars with one metal and one plastic.
So, who knows? Plastic is kinda cool, but the metal sure can shine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info all!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I thought pre-70's had steel and 70-up was usually plastic. I have a 71 with plastic
(cracked) and the resto mags offer 68-69 steel, they bolt right in! Just my opinion
Stan71

·
Registered
155 Posts
My 72 Monte was made in Van Nuys Calif., destined for Seattle. It had plastic inner fenders. Kinda cool, I've brought the car back to its birthplace after a life in the soggy north.

[This message has been edited by DaleP (edited 10-06-99).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.