Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
still no help huh? -darn-

I look at mine and try to figure out where it is supposed to go, and how it is supposed to work.

Got fed up one day and built my own
one lever actuated switch and a little metal bracket and presto, instant trunk lights.

-hint, I used two "licence plate lamps" to do the lighting. cheap and sharp looking.

------------------
BB414, TH400, 3.73 posi,
13.1sec @ 105 MPH (TH400 needs clutch pack, Radial T/As = zero traction)
"I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end " J.T.
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Jody,

The light socket is mounted in one of the cut out areas on the bottom side of the lid near the lock. It uses a small sheetmetal bolt. The wire is fished through the cutouts in the lid and exits near the driver side hinge.

Look under the driver side hinge area for the body wiring harness. There should be a plug for the trunk light there.

Some cars have the trunk light wired into the parking lights. In that case, the wire is run down and plugs into the license plate light. If doing it this way, the trunk light will only work when the parking lights are on.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Check out my website:
Bobs 409 Chevy Page

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Since Jody has a '71, the power would come from the factory pig tail found by the driver's side trunk hinge. (should be an orange wire with a black connector).

A factory assembly manual would have this and other "little option" details. I'd highly recommend you get one. It was well worth the money for me and can be purchased thru virtually every restoration supplier.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks thats what thought about the drivers hinge and the cutout.

I have all new harnesses so I know where it plugs into that wasn't the question. I just wanted some reassurance it went thru the trunk paneland down the hinge.

I also have the factory manual. It has diagrams for courtesy lights, hood lamps, console, etc... but I could not find the routing of the trunk lamp... looked thru it 20 times...I agree its a valuable tool just esoteric sometimes... I couldn't have done this complete frame off without it or the service/overhaul, and body manual.

JODY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts