Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hood is pretty solid other than the hood pin holes and the front edge.
I am thinking repair it since its original GM and not all that bad.
The other side of me says replace it and be done with it.
I have alot of sheet metal to repair on the car so this would just be another repair.
Need some feedback on the approach. What would you do?
Brown Wood Amber Rectangle Automotive lighting
Wood Road surface Brick Trunk Gas
Wood Gas Font Tints and shades Concrete
Wood Gas Tints and shades Natural material Trunk
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Tire

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
IMO…. Not worth that amount of work to get acceptable for paint.

Reactions: B52bombardier1

·
Registered
1969 Grand Prix. 455 TH400 12 bolt.
32 Posts
Thats prime wall-hanging art but a nightmare as a hood. I'd pass on fixing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a believer in fixing what I have so here is my method. Acid dip it to clean the internal rust. Coat it then with a phosphoric acid to help protect it from future rust. Then do the metal work to replace the rusted out sections. Finally give it 2 coats of Master Series rust encapsulator paint as a permanent rust protection. Lastly body work and paint.

Reactions: 71350SS

·
Premium Member
9,181 Posts
Sell it for 50 to 75 bucks to someone who needs it to repair an OE cowl induction hood.
or just make it wall art if no one buys it.But unless it was not understood by what I said don't re-use it on your car

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
The whole front section and likely structure is toast and needs replaced. Unless you posses the skills to shape metal and the tools to so, you have a rusted out piece of junk.

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Replace it. I don't think you are seeing the condition between the 2 panels. It's not worth additional rust through after you get paint on it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Replace it seems the common answer and what my gut tells me.

I probably will replace it in time.
I may use it for some metal working practice, or even donor metal for the car.

Its ashamed that its most likely toast because i really wanted to use it since i already have it.

When i go for a replacement which company has the best fitment? Do replacement hoods fit right straight out of the box?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have the same hood on my 70, but it really decent shape. My plan is to go with the cowl induction with functional flapper, to the point that I actually tripped into a GM flapper for the hood that I plan to get. I personally wouldn't waste the time on that hood you have.

·
Registered
Cevrolet Chevelle convertible 454 SS Clone 1972
32 Posts
What a question to spend 500 buks for restauration, or get a new one for 350.$

·
Registered
71, 72 Malibu
12 Posts
I think you would have more time and money in it repairing it than buying a good replacement. I am like you, I like to keep as much as I can, however at some point you have to figure your time is worth money.

·
Premium Member
11,259 Posts
My question would be , "are there aftermarket hoods that are 100% as compared to a brand new OEM hood"? From what I've seen, there are an awesome number of "almost fit" aftermarket sheet metal parts. I think GM could have made a killing by continuing the manufacture of these parts vs handing money to overseas manufacturers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My question would be , "are there aftermarket hoods that are 100% as compared to a brand new OEM hood"? From what I've seen, there are an awesome number of "almost fit" aftermarket sheet metal parts. I think GM could have made a killing by continuing the manufacture of these parts vs handing money to overseas manufacturers.
I actually asked the same question but worded differently.
I would like to know how the repro hoods fit, from others who have replaced the GM hoods. Which companies have best fitment and which to stay away from. Anyone have real world expierence thier input would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts