Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is the deal. I am new to this great site and i recently bought a 71 chevelle.... it says ss and the guy said it was a ss.... but i have no plates.... but... i do have the title... how can i check the numbers on the title to my only identification on the car which is the little tag thing near the drivers side hood hinge... are there any other ways to check?? my numebrs are...

st 71-13637 R60102 BDY
tr 731 42 42 pnt
07b012

help me please

·
Premium Member
15,332 Posts
Go talk to your DMV. If you have a clear title and the VIN matches the hidden VIN on the car (Usually this is done by a DMV agent or law enforcement) They more than likely will tag the car with a state issue VIN plate at that point (typically it would be the VIN stamped on a state tag and riveted to the car.

Pretty much anything else you try is against some federal or state law.

A couple of the spots where the hidden VIN is stamped on the body is under the heater blower motor and on the frame behind the rear driver side wheel well. Both may take some work to be able to read them.

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Welcome T.O. Something sounds a little fishy. You say there is no vin plate on the dash?
The trim tag decodes as
1971, 13637-malibu,2-DOOR SPORT COUPE, R-built in Arlington, TX,
tr 731-Ant. Dk. Jade Elk Coated Fabric, Ant. Dk. Jade Coated Fabric (bench seat)
42 42-Cottonwood Green (upper and lower)
07b- build date of july second week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys... keep the suggestions coming. I love forums and the ppl in them. haha... but im going to check all of this out. can you tell if my 71 is a real ss by the numbers i gave yall? thanx again

·
Registered
862 Posts
if its an arlington car there is probably no vin under the heater core assembly best bet is on frame rail behind driverside rear wheel on top of rail. have you looked high and low for a build sheet under seats headliner carpet on top of gas tank and under sound deadner drivers side front. if and when you find the vin #'s you might check to see if it is stolen. i hope that the guy that sold it to you gave you a bill of sale with his dl # on it. other than the car. good luck

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
I doubt a ss with green cloth bench seat interior.
The Z15 SS option in 71 and 72 wasn't a performance option, more of a dress-up/trim option and could be ordered on any 13637/67 Malibu with any optional V8. Since it was an option just like A/C, stereo radio, etc. seat type/material wasn't a factor like it was in earlier years when the SS was a separate series and this seat type/material was one of the available choices on the 13637 Malibu with the Cottonwood Green paint.

Hopefully the person you bought the car from is nearby. Without a VIN plate there may be a lot of questions to answer since it's against the law to remove it. If the VIN on the title turns up as lost/salvaged/etc. and/or the CON VIN on the car doesn't match...could be some serious problems. :(

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
In AZ you can have the DMV (ADOT) run a search on the title. If it doesn't show up as stolen, etc. they can assign a "new" vin to the car. Its a blue sticker that they put on the car and it has a sequence number that THEY assign. The ones I've seen are normally just stuck on the firewall. Since the one on my '33 is VERY hard to see (on the frame) they offered to do this when I registered it here. The guy said it was very common on "old" cars to do this. Might ask at your DMV........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you sir. We will probably call the dmv soon. But how hard is it to try to check the stamped vin on the frame? do i have to take the body loose? or what? the fender well is in the way.... thanx again ya'll

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
how hard is it to try to check the stamped vin on the frame?
It's not easy. No guarantee that it's even there, but if it is, it should be on the top side of the frame rail, drivers side, between the kick-up for the rear axle and the rear crossmember. The only way to even have a chance to do it with the body still on the frame is by using a mirror and plenty of light. If your frame is scaly with rust, you can forget it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
on the side of the frame in that location is a manufacture model number it will be right above that on top. you will need some red scotchbrite to rub it with if you use sand paper you will make them a little thin. good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.