Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71 SS Chevelle 454 with a factory tach. The tach is not working and I can not find a wiring diagram that includes optional equipment. Can anyone tell me what color the tach wire is in the engine compartment and also what wire is for the tach on the printed circuit board located behind the gauges. I was also wondering if I could bypass the printed circuit and wire directly from the tach to the distributor. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Tach lead (Pin 9) is a brown loose wire that runs through the firewall directly to the Coil (-) terminal. Yes you can connect directly to a terminal on the tach.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it be possible to get to the back of tach without taking the circuit board out to make this connection? Also I am running a HEI, do you suspect I will have any problems? Thanks for all the help Steve, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
On a hei there are 3 plug in connectors on the cap 1 comes from p/u coil and module, 1 battery power and 1 tach, looking at the cap you shuld be able to read bat and tach make sure the brown wire is plugged in to tach on cap

1 - 5 of 5 Posts