Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to convert my malibu dash to a ss dash. What all do I need? I would like to retain the factory air the car has and use a console shifter. How much should I expect to pay for this complete set-up assuming I can find one? Please E-mail me if you know someone who has one for sale.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Lindsay,

To be correct, you would need a 71 SS dash and wiring. 70 & 72 will bolt in and work, but are slighly different than 71. 70's have green tint lettering on the gauges and the AC vents are different. 72's have the seat belt warning light. For wiring, the under-dash harness is vital. The under-hood harness would also be helpful. For prices, I have seen these in the $300-500 range.

Good Luck,

------------------
Jim Endrud - TC Gold #45 - ACES #3507
72 El Camino SS Clone
GM muscle cars - members.home.net/jimmy4
El Camino gallery - members.home.net/jimmy4/elkygallery.html

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Like Jim said you basically need to buy everything for a 71SS. A complete dash housing, underdash wiring harness and engine harness. After you have all that then it is simply a matter of taking the malibu stuff out and putting in the SS. The hardest part is shelling out all the money for a good dash.

J.J. Fig

------------------
MCC member #256
http://www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm

·
Registered
337 Posts
Plan on spending anywhere from $100.00 to $500.00 on a good dash, depending on what comes with it. I recently paid $100.00 for an empty dash housing with no cluster. Luckly that was all I needed. I just had to paint it to match my original and swap my cluster and heater controls to it.
My original had a crack in it and someone hacked out where the radio goes.
while I had it apart I replaced the dash harness with a new one from National Parts Depot for around $300.00, it fits and looks like the original.
Also keep in mind that the dashes are the same with or without A/C. In fact, the vents and heater & A/C control from your sweep dash will fit the SS dash. You will also need the speedometer without the shift indicator, which works with a console.

Good Luck.

Jeff Litka
72 Chevelle SS
72 MonteCarlo

[This message has been edited by JSL (edited 12-20-1999).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.