Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a guy in town that has a 71 SS 454. Is there a way can I tell if its a true SS or not? I've been trying to talk my dad into helping me buy it. The interior is in excellent shape. It has crappy paint, and some minor rust at the bottom of the doors and at the bottom of the back windshield. I haven't heard it run yet, but I guess the guy wants $6-7000. I haven't talked to the guy yet, but one of my friends lives next door to him. I'm really interested in this car, but my dad doesn't want to spend that kind of money on a car that we don't "need".

·
Registered
183 Posts
There is no sure fired way of telling if is a true ss454 unless he has a build sheet or protector plate from the car. the reason being is that the ss package on a 1971 chevelle was an option.
if he tells you it is an numbers matching, check the vin numbers and the front pad on the engine. if the numbers match then it is the original engine. say vin is 134371K108001
the numbers on the pad after the letter,108001 should match. also check tor boxed conteol arm, sways bars front & back,check the rag joint on steering box, should be bolted together.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Dazed-

Also check for the obvious stuff like disc brakes in front, 12 bolt rear axle, round style gauges in dash (not sweep dash style). Good Luck!

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726 ACES #4486
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"
“What the heck are all these extra nuts & bolts for?”

Pictures of my 72 Chevelle SS Restoration: www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like you first need to sell your dad on the idea of buying the Chevelle. Do some research and present it to your dad as a father/son hobby and a wise investment. If it is a true SS the value will rise. But the best investment will be the one with you and your dad working on the car together.

Dave.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've already tried talking him into it, but I guess its just money problem right now. Because my parents have to pay for my older brother's tuition for college. If I can come up with the money I can do what I want with it. But thats the problem, it would take me almost a year to come up with that kind of money, and I'm just afraid that I might miss out on the car I really want.

·
Gold Founding Member
64,449 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chevelleracer:
bill was the bolted rag joint 454 only or all ss or 402-454
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All big block cars

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net

One man's trash is another man's .....
trash

·
Registered
107 Posts
hey one thing to do is get the vin # the 5th character in the number will tell u the type of engine that was originally in the engine htat may help, also check for round gauges in the dash, also when u lift the hood oof the car, towards the front driver side will be like a black plate if it has ST on it it is not a real SS.

------------------
72' Chevelle SS
TC Member#1417

·
Registered
225 Posts
You cannot tell by the 5th digit of a '71 what engine came in the car. That started in '72. That being said, you can tell if it is a true SS car if the original engine is in the car and it's a 454 because you could only get a 454 with the SS package. I hope this clears it up.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chaser77:
also when u lift the hood oof the car, towards the front driver side will be like a black plate if it has ST on it it is not a real SS.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not true.All the trim Tags have ST which stands for STYLE.This is where the Model year is printed.Example:71,for 1971.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970 L-78...ON THE MOVE

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I talked to the guy today, and he said it is an original SS 454, but its not the original engine. But he said it does run, he just doesn't have the time to work on it because he's fixing up 2 motorcycles. He said he took it to get apraised or somethin and they said its worth like 7800, but he said he probably wouldn't sell it for that much. The interior is real nice. It has bench seats and a 4speed shifter on the floor, power door locks and windows. I didn't get a chance to look in the trunk but that could possible be ugly because of the rust around the rear windshield. But that is the type of car that I'm looking for, somethin thats not showroom condition, yet somethin thats not a hunk-a-junk. I told my dad about it again, but he said its still too much money, and that it would be TOO powerful for me. Well I guess its good to have dreams. I'll get a Chevelle someday. But if anyone would be interested in this car, I live in Bellingham, MA and I could probably get the guys name and number for you.

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dwayne Martin:
You cannot tell by the 5th digit of a '71 what engine came in the car. That started in '72. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, only the 72 VIN denoted the engine size.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>That being said, you can tell if it is a true SS car if the original engine is in the car and it's a 454 because you could only get a 454 with the SS package. I hope this clears it up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite. You could get the 350 and 402 engines with the SS option in 71. The SS/454 got the SS/454 badges, others only got the SS badging.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
http://www.dalesplace.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
Clicked submit before I made my comment. Duhr

------------------
65 Malibu SS, Crocus Yellow with black interior. Let the fun and back pain begin.

[This message has been edited by KirkS (edited 11-11-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dale McIntosh:
Not quite. You could get the 350 and 402 engines with the SS option in 71. The SS/454 got the SS/454 badges, others only got the SS badging.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he ment that the 454 was only available in the SS not the SS was only available with a 454.

------------------
65 Malibu SS, Crocus Yellow with black interior. Let the fun and back pain begin.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chaser77:
also when u lift the hood oof the car, towards the front driver side will be like a black plate if it has ST on it it is not a real SS.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh No!!!My LS6 has the ST on the black plate.I was taken!Its a damn good clone though.

------------------

Dean Ciampi
Team Chevelle Gold #52
Aces #3094 MY LS6 CHEVELLE
My 2000 Z28

·
Registered
225 Posts
Dale McIntosh, I realize that you could get other engines in the SS, but as KirkS noted, I was pointing out that you could only get the 454 in the SS. Sorry if it caused any confusion. I would also like to suggest that people only submit responses if they are sure of their information. I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but bad information (such as the ST on the trim tag not being a real SS) is worse than no information. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Dazed,
I went to a swap meet this past weekend and saw several 70 Chevelles. (I'm partial to the 70 Chevelle Malibu, since I own one.)

These were running from the mostly stock, but good metal, 307/glide at around $2500-3k. From there I saw a couple with 350's, nice wheels/tires/paint, some SS goodies, still Malibu's but closing in on $5k.

The field rounded out with a Malibu sporting a heavily modified unoriginal 400/700r4, all the SS goodies, decent paint, Weld wheels, going for $7500. I think this one was the best deal if you had the $$. No additional heavy work was needed.

I personally would not put my son or daughter in car I felt was too much for them. Maybe the 454 is part of the problem.

Since it sounds like a you're not floating in $$, drop your sights a little. I'd look for a fairly stock 307/350 Chevelle in running condition. You will more than likely have to deal with worn out parts, and some rust, but this is a time-honored rite-of-passage in my family. Kind of like earning your wings.

Speaking as a Dad, save your cash, do your research, start learning to work on these old cars if you haven't already. I'd be prepared to more than match what Dad is willing, assuming he is willing, to help with. And start paying him back right away before adding $$ things to the car.

As a dad we like that sort of responsibility.

Yeah, you might have to leave the area to find it, but they are out there.

------------------

Springfield, Ohio

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>name: D.G. & my 70 Malibu
<LI>http://www.wright.edu/~adams.41/chevy.htm
<LI>TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
<LI>eBay username: dg98adams
<LI>"Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software"
[/list]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.