Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello TC
I recently purchased an all original ss that had been stored in a barn for 11.5 yrs. I went through all the proper procedures for prestarting as discussed here on the website months ago. It started and ran fine for about 45 seconds then when the oil light came on I killed it. It looked like a major oil leak at the rear main seal. So I pulled the engine and tranny together. I want to keep this car all original and my questions are: 1)Should I just clean or also repaint inside fenders, cowl, engine, etc. 2) What do I look for with the pan off to tell me the shape of the engine (it has 84k miles only) I can send digital pics of the engine with the pan off if that helps. 3)Even if the engine is in great shape should I replace all of the seals while I have it out or does that effect the originality? 4) Where is a good source for OEM parts?
Thanks in Advance
Kert

------------------
Kert Hulett
Team Gold Member #607
71 SS 454

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Kert, it never hurts to clean it first. See how it looks and go from there. I am a novice when it comes to looking at engines, but here goes. With the pan off, look for any sludge or heavy deposits. I would pull off a main cap and a rod bearing and look the bearing condition also. I sure someone with more experience will chime in. This engine has been sitting for over 11 years, so go ahead and replace the seals and gaskets. I don't think that replacing the seals will affect orginality much, I would take new seals vs orginal shrunk/worn out seals anytime. As for OEM parts, ask around. Good luck - John

------------------
64 Malibu SS 327
Parting out 1965 El Camino
Instructions?...all I need is the exploded view

·
Registered
543 Posts
you are very lucky to find a low mileage car with the original engine. I would steam clean the engine compartment, then prep, paint and detail the engine compartment to look like it came from the factory. Get the factory manuals and keep it stock! Here is a link for brake booster restoration: http://www.noneckschevelle.com/delco.htm
just take your time,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.