Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little research tells me there is a strip that fails over time that controls the speedometer light on a non SS chevelle. Before I dig in I would like some suggestions on how to get to it and etc. Also is there an aftermarket replacement that bypasses the old arangement? Something that doesn't look cheesy that mounts externally?

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I've yet to run across a bad flexible circuit on a 71/72 sweep dash. The left bulb has wires on it and provides power to the strip and the rest of the bulbs. I would pull the dash pad and see if there is power on the left bulb. The more common problems are blown light bulbs (they normally look silver/black when they pop) or a greenish growth inside the sockets.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Originally posted by John_Muha:
[QB] I've yet to run across a bad flexible circuit on a 71/72 sweep dash.

i'm glad to hear you say that. i have been into my dash lately and changed out some bulbs and switches and i couldnt help but notice how fragile that printed circuit looked. it works fine but i have a spare from a parts car that i am hanging on to just in case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so all I have to do is remove the top dash pad and I can access the speedo lights etc.?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by gurdy:
so all I have to do is remove the top dash pad and I can access the speedo lights etc.?

Thanks
Yes, there are 6 screws that hold it on. 2 of them are inside the glovebox. After the screws are removed the pad pulls towards you to release it from the front clips. I usually set the e-brake and move the trans shifter to the lowest gear. Helps to get the pad past the shifter lever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts