Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

My college roomate (havent seen in 12 years) emailed me a 71 4 door chevelle that has been in storage for the past 30 years, he sent me one pciture, and the car looks clean and solid. I am going up this weekend to do a full inspection. Its a 307/auto car. I have two children and honestly would love to be able to cruise this around as a daily driver, but what is it worth?? i cant find any 4 doors for sale to get any jkind of comparison. If I get it up and running, then drive it all summer and later sell it to an enthusiast, what would it be worth assuming its mostly clean, rust free, and all original?? I was thinking maybe $5k??

thanks all

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I think 5K should be your budget for the car and the work to get it to a safe driver. After that, enjoy [email protected]! If you are thinking flip, that's not the car. IMO

·
Premium Member
3,691 Posts
it all depends on the condition, the options, whether its a hardtop or a post sedan. Sitting 30 years can mean a lot of things that need fixing, especially if it just sat for all these years. gas tanks needing cleaning or replacing, gaskets everywhere might be leakingl if it starts, all the fluids would need changing, just for starters.

my personal every day car is the 4 door in my tag line, and I will tell you 5 grand would not even get you in my front door!

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
It has no real value other than what someone is willing to stroke a check for. Considering its been sitting for 30 years, it will probably need at least $3k worth of work to make it road worthy. It is not a desirable nor collectible car in its own right, again it boils down to what its worth to you.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Is it a hardtop or post sedan? The 4 door hard tops look better IMO. I saw a late 60's Chevelle hardtop with the rear outside door handles removed. It looked like a 2 door hardtop at first glance. It also was a dark color so the door gap lines are hidden better. If you keep the total cost at 4-5K$ you would have a fun car for your family. Check good for rust though.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
If there is any rust, needs paint or upholstery it's probably not worth it. There just isn't much of a market for 4 doors so you would really need to keep a tight reign on your spending. If it was a car you were considering keeping for several years you can weigh the money spent against the time you get to spend with your kids.

Steve R

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Its worth a couple thousand if it's clean and just out of storage non-running.

The whole 4 doors are worthless advice has recently become outdated. These cars are 50 years old now and there are only so many left. 4 doors are never going to be worth the big money, but it's not uncommon to see nice ones in the 10-15k range.

My 66 4 door was $3700, it ran and drove but had all sorts of hidden issues that I had to fix. I have 3 kids and we actually like the 4 doors. It's easier for everyone to pile in the car. It's my summer daily driver and we have taken it out of state on vacation. We might do Canada next year with it.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
After sitting that long I'd assumed it'd need some brake lines, fuel lines, wheel cylinders, drums, carb rebuilt, and all fluids at a minimum. Take a close look for any mouse damage to wiring, headliner, seats etc.
Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts