Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be installing a new headliner in my 71 soon. The old one is out. I kept the old headliner with rods intact and took plenty of pics of which holes the rods go in. I searched the archives and read general responses of how to do it. Can someone point me to a site that has step by step instructions? Also is there one better manufacturer of headliners than another? Or do the parts places get them from the same company? I've used PUI in the past for seats and were very satisfied with their products.
Thanks,
Andy
MCC member #206

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts

Here are some general tips including the use of a glue gun. I personally like it better than the headliner glues due to the fact that it dries so quickly..Holding strength is not that critical as the trim is really what holds the headliner in place. You could use some type of temporary clips if you wish to use the headliner glue.
I've done all types of upholstery and I prefer the glue gun. JMO

http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/002039.html

------------------
best regards
Jack

My 68

my webpage
Dad's Place

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Andy this topic has been discussed many times over the years with some of the guys giving some great tips. If you do a search I think you will find what you are looking for. I did mine and it turned out great. I would caution against using a heat gun to get the wrinkles out. I used one and found that just as the wrinkle disappears the fabric melts just enough to have a shiney look that is noticeable. I had another person helping me, that made for a better outcome. I wouldn't hesitate doing it again. I have a lot of satisfaction having done something that most people steer clear of. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts