Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have dimentions to cut the hole in the floor for a floor shifter and exactly where to install the metal boot mount.Maybe even a diagram. 1971 chevelle 4 speed conversion.

·
Premium Member
8,636 Posts
I have a Piece of the floor from a 70 with a bench and the car had a M-22 in it. I can give you the size of the hole. Depending where you are it would be E-Z to lay this piece of floor on yours, It would drop in to the body impressions and be in the factory location. " IF " your car will have a bench seat.
A consoul hole may be in a different location.
Bob ACES--AACA

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
I have no dimensions, and it is not likely that anyone else does either.
Now, with that said, I REALLY, REALLY would discourage you from cutting the hole out first.
I think you would be better off to get the tranny installed and install the shifter WITH ONLY A HOLE IN THE FLOOR JUST BIG ENOUGH TO STICK THE SHIFTER HANDLE THROUGH, with the tranny/shifter in the neutral position. Next, place the metal hump on the floor (with the handle dead center in the opening) and then use a marker to tracer around the metal hump. Remove the metal hump and cut a hole in the floor about 1in SMALLER than the area that you traced. When you install the metal hump, use plenty of sealer around it. Believe it or not, I like to use that black sticky, gooey cement in a caulking gun that is used for asphault shingles. From the factory, these humps are spot welded to the floor. I like to install them with lots of real short sheet metal screws. My reasoning is because this allows removal of the hump if there should ever be a need to do so. Once the hump is finally installed with sheet metal screws, I use a die grinder to grind off the points from under the car then cover the ends of the screws with the shingle cement.
The above is only my method. Do what works for you. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,945 Posts
Tom's explanation is the way to go. There are no measurements. The tranny must be installed first. Than you must cut a hole to fit the shifter body in and mount it on tranny. The hole has to be big enough to get the bolts in the shifter to mount it. Than you will be able to check fit and position needed for metal boot.
These photos are from a 71 Chevelle
This hole was eventually cut out to first black marking to be able to work on shifter and use the tool to adjust it. The farther out marking is where the outer part of the metal cover fits. I used short sheetmetal screws and and a sealer.
If you don't cut the hole big enough, after you complete the install you'll see you won't have room to remove bolts to remove shifter when ever needed from under car.

·
Registered
13,323 Posts
Here is the shifter hump from below on my 70 with a console. That roofing cement looks wet and sticky, but it is dry and semi-hard.
I'm in the process of putting in a new clutch before CB08, so I just took a picture.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS GUYS, ALL THE IDEAS SOUND GOOD.STILL CANT BELIEVE THERE ISNT A TEMPLET FOR IT. THE CAR IS A BENCH SEAT 4 SPEED. i DONT KNOW IF ROBIN WANTS TO SEND ME THE PIECE. THAT WOULD BE VERY COOL.
AC-AL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.