Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of replacing the oilpan seal on my 71 camino with sbc400.

The pan will not drop because it rests on the frontframe.

My idea was to raise the engine and see if i get enough space to remove the pan seal.

I put a jack in place of the tranny support.

I loosened the long(cross?l bolts from the two engine mounts.
Now if i jack the engine (just aside the oilpan) the whole car lifts but the engine doesn't move.

Any suggestions what i should to / forget ?

· Premium Member
7,034 Posts
For a small block:

Leave your trans mount connected.

Put your timing mark on TDC....Line up the timing mark on the harmonic balancer. This turns the crank and counter weights to the most favorable position to remove the pan. If you are almost there but just need a bit more clearance, turn the timing mark straight down. After you get the pan done, turn the crank and pass the timing mark once, then land on it the second time around so you can stab your distributor back in on tdc #1.

If you have an HEI, I would pull it. Check to see if the rotor points to #1 cylinder. If not, turn the engine 1 more revolution and line up the timing mark. Pull the distributor. A stock distributor might clear, but pull the cap.

Loosen your fan shroud and lay it on the fan or pull it out.

Don't know what kind of exhaust you have, keep an eye on it. If headers you may have to pull the bolts and lay them aside.

Lift the front of the engine, if you didn't pull the distributor, at least pull the cap and keep an eye on it when you jack up the front of the engine.

Before you go sticking your hands up in there, put some blocks between the engine mounts. So if she slips, your hand won't pop off.

For guys with big blocks, just pull the engine. Even with a small block, it's easier just to pull the engine.

· Registered
893 Posts
Even with a small block, it's easier just to pull the engine
Wholeheartedly agree.

I bet right now the transmission case/bellhousing area is tight up hard against the floor/transmission hump. Been there, tried that as a kid....it is easier to just pull the engine than struggle with all the monkey business of trying to do the oil pan in the car.
You're going to end up with 90% of the same stuff unhooked or removed as you would pulling the engine and trans out as an assembly.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all for the replies.

I managed to get the pan out, just lift die engine high as possible and also raise the tranny (prevent ignition to firewall hit).

The engine was a bit stuck in the mounts.
And i did not jack the engine at the pulley, instead i had found 2 jack points just next to the pan edges

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dislike removing the engine because uncoupling the exhaust and tranny, fuel lines etc can also be a shitty job too.

And in my case jacking the engine itself was the hardest part (if i wanted to use engine hoist also hood need to be removed).

I mean, once the engine was lifted the pan was able to get out without a problem.

But everyone has his own preference ofcourse

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.