Chevelles.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently installing new carpet. The back piece extends to the back wall and doesn't have a trimmed edge like the front piece. The back wall is bare (metal). My question is, did the car come from the factory with a bare back wall? If so, has anyone finished this area? How did you finish the carpet edge? The doors have the sills to finish the sides as well as hold the carpet, but I can't figure out what to do at the back. Just let it lay there? Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Dan <><

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts
Yup- up to 73, all the elcaminos came with bare back walls.

I have a custom speaker box mounted right below the shelf, and a peice of carpet running along the remainder of the back wall, overlapping the floor carpet a little bit. I have the smugglers box area cut out though, and the wall's carpet tucked behind it. That pretty much keeps the back walls carpet in place.

Also- the carpet i have on the back wall has a thin peice of foam glued (3m spray adhesiv)to the back of the carpet. This gives it some shape and firmness to it.

I know this doesn't show it much, but you can kind of see what i did in this pic:
Speakerbox-1

------------------
Ben Rambow
1970 El Camino SS
My old 1969 El Camino
The El Camino Classics Club
"Whats the matter with the car I'm Driving? Can't ya tell that its out of style..."

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I also made my own rear speaker box out of 1/2 in MDF glued and screwed together.That box runs from the bed floor line up to the reaqr window shelf. Below that is just a flat piece of MDF with some material glued to it.
I custom built a sub box seen in the corner and my amp is mounted to the flat piece of MDFMy solution

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
You can never fix a Ford,You can only work on them alot.
70 442
The Z-meano
Cowl induction injection

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ben and Phillip,

Those are a couple of great ideas. Really makes the back wall look finished. I will probably do the same. One question though, how did you attach the speaker box to the wall? And I do appreciate your input!

Dan <><

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
On mine I made a full box out of it. First I cut the back to fit against the wall. Then made the side panels and two other "walls" parallel to the sides. Cut screw and glue the sides and walls together. then attach all that to the back wall of the cab with sheet metal screws at the doublers and stiffener of the rear wall,Use short screws so they dont go thru into the bed area.
Lastly make the face panel to attach it to the structure you already made and attached.
Cut speaker holes and cover face panel before attaching it to the back portion.

That way should you ever blow a speaker you can remove the face panel and replace or upgrade the speakers

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
70 442
The Z-meano
Cowl induction injection

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phil,

Thanks for the info. I am going to do just that. BTW, your Elky is a sweet looking machine. Are there anymore pictures?

Dan <><

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phillip,

Any pictures of the interior like seats and dash? I bought a S/S dash and instrument cluster. Wondering if it's too much work to put in . . .

Dan <><

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Its not too bad just replace the dash and cluster as an assy with the wiring attached.
Pictures coming via email-lots-

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
70 442
The Z-meano
Cowl induction injection

·
Registered
49 Posts
man im glad i read this post...
i just installed a system in my 71 elcamino, and it never dawned on me to put carpet on the back wall. well i did, and man it looks soooo much better. one thing though, i got those kickpanels with the speakers in them and the passenger side panel rattles like crazy. really really loud. do think if i put some foam rubber stuff or some type of fabric on the back of it, wherever it touched metal, etc. do think that might take car of it?

man, i need to excercise my brain a lil more... all this thinking really takes it outta me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Phil,

Pictures look great. Are you saying the dash swap was not a big deal? Did you have a "go by"? Or did you just wing it?

Dan <><

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fubar,

Where are the pictures of the back wall? Always looking for ideas to steal.

As to the rattle, I bought insulation precut from OPG. You could make your own also. That shoud take care of the problem and I'm hoping the speakers sound improves as well. Don't have it all back together yet to hear the radio, so I don't know how they sound.

Dan <><

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Dan I just winged it,pretty easy since I'm a Aircraft Mechanic
Actually picked up a old dash first then found a cluster did searches here and applied some thought and planning to the whole thing. Oh yea and MONEY !

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
70 442
The Z-meano
Cowl induction injection

·
Registered
49 Posts
in-work,

unfortunately, i dont have a scanner... or digital camera... or any knowledge of setting up sites on the internet. so, ummmm... i dunno. anyways... it looks pretty similar to the other guys pics. except i have the cd changer built into it as well. along with elcamino and ss emblems put into it, right in the middle. looks really good... ill work on trying to get some pics of it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fubar,

You have got to get me a picture. That sounds great. What carpet did you use for this. All the resto houses have are molded kits. Not sure where to get a flat piece for this . . .

Now the emblems, that is a dandy idea!

Dan <><

1 - 16 of 16 Posts