Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a sure fit kit from Vintage Air last week to install in my 1970 Chevelle. I have heard many good things about Vintage Air, and from what I understood they do their homework when it comes to these kits.

One of the first things the instructions require is the removal of the old glove box. After searching for bolts and screws that were not there, I called V.A. The guy told me that they have discovered that many 1970 Chevelles had 1971 dashes installed in them. How true is this? I am the second owner of this car, and I am positive that the original owner did not change the dash. (I have owned the car since 1984.)

After cutting out the glove box (ouch), I started the enviable task of connecting all of the dots. The instructions this time called for the connection of three (3) OEM cables from the existing controls. As you might guess, I have only one cable. The rest of the settings are controlled by vacuum connections.

Before I bring my car to some stranger and have them install the system, I thought I would see if any one else out there has run into these problems, and also look for an answer to the elusive dash question....

Thanks in advance for all responses.
Chuck

------------------

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
Chuck, What did they say was different between the dashes? I used a 71 glove box door in my 70, as well as some of the other dash parts from a parts car I had and everything fit. It sounds like you have a factory a/c car because of the vacuum controls, did they send a kit for a non a/c car? Philip

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 04-05-99).]

·
Registered
166 Posts
The 70 and 71 dashes are identical, and neither have a glovebox that is removable, it is made from the same piece of plastic that the dash is. If your stock heater system is controlled by vacuum controls and a single cable, it sounds like it is an AC/heater box. The normal (non AC) heater box used 3 cables, while the AC system used one cable and a mess of vacuum actuators. Maybe the guy you talked to confused the difference between an SS dash and a Sweep-style dash as the difference between a 70 and 71. But my father and I have 2 SS's and some extra SS dashes, and I do not remember the glovebox being removable from the SS dash and I KNOW you can't remove it from the sweep dash cause I had to "customize" one of mine to put a CD changer in the glovebox.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, Havoc.

I called Vintage Air once a while ago, and they told me that at the time they did not offer a kit that utilized the factory air controls. Looks like they still don't.

I will call them this morning and post any answers that I get right here.

[This message has been edited by cSchu (edited 04-05-99).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
I talked to vintage air a month ago. The guy told be they don't offer kits for 70-72. The kit they sell is designed for 68-69 Chevelles and it would be my responsibilty to get it to fit in a '72.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to a guy at V.A. and it sounds like they are not ready to sell a kit for a factory AC 1970 Chevelle yet. He keeps telling me that I should not have the vacuum connections that I have. It is hard to follow him, but it sounds like he is trying to explain that some of the 70 Chevelles had 71 dashes (i.e., the AC controls.)

I don't mind having to buy something that was not original in the car. I am gonna look in their catalog tonight and see if the replacement panel they offer will work for my application. If not, it looks like OPG or Year One might be getting some business from me.

I will keep y'all posted.
Chuck

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick update.....

V.A. offers a replacement panel for 67-70 pickups that looks similar, but is too small. Best chance is to find someone who is willing to part with the control panel from a non AC car (Thanks, Tom - and others). I am sure that there are ways to make the existing control panel work, but I like simplicity.

Niether OPG nor Year One offer replacement control panels. Both of them suggested checking out the local salvage yards. Or the local A.C.E.S. wanted site.

Chuck

------------------

·
Registered
166 Posts
i have an extra control panel that i'd let you have pretty cheap, the problem is the cables are butchered. do you need the cables for the VA install? or do they supply their own cables? if you're interested, send me an e-mail.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
101 Posts
What you probably need is a 69 control panel. They are the same as the 70, but it is cable controlled intead of the vacuum controls. thats what vintage air recommends for use in a 1970 car, for a factory look.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hangten, I believe that you are right. When I originally called V.A., they told me that the kit they offered for the '70 was really for a '69. Turns out a non AC control panel will work from either year (from what I can gather).

I ended up finding one with the help of the wanted site here at this web site.

Thanks for all of the responses.
Chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.