Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1971 Chevelle that I am restoring.
I had to purchase a new hood and hinges with new springs. The hood is the SS or Heavy Chevy type hood. I can not adjust the hinges so that the back part of the hood closes down correctly. The back part of the hood is always raise up. Even if you push down on the rear of the hood, it will not sit right. I adjusted the hinges down as far as they will go with no changes. It is like I need to files the holes longer in the hinge so I can adjust it to go lower in the rear. Any ideas. I know this is a problem with this big hood. My old hood and hinges did the same thing. I thought by buying new hinges and spring, that the problem would go away. The problem is worst with this new hood.
Keith Cooper
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Actually it works backwards, you want to raise the rear of the hinge to get the hood lower. Give it a try.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
That is EXACTLY correct. The hinges adjust the opposite direction from what you would expect. As mentioned, try it!

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also think that the rear cross member type support on the rear of the underside of the hood is hitting the cowl. I think that this is a problem also. I am not sure how to fix it.

I also wish someone would go into more information about how to adjust the hinge. Do I only want to raise the rear of the hinge to get the hood to close right?? or both the front and the rear hinge at the same time. If so, what way do I adjust the front part of the hinge?
Keith
[email protected].com

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
It's basically a trial and error approach to get the hood properly adjusted. But, if the rear of the hood is high, the front of the hinge needs to go down (or the rear of the hinge needs to go up).
It's one of those things that is nearly impossible to explain, it needs to be demonsttrated in person.

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.