Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring my 71 Chevelle SS.When I installed my gauges I found that my amp gauge and temp gauge do not work.Everything else works.I have a new temp sending unit installed.What is a good systematic approach to diagnose the source of the problem or is there any reference material.I have checked to make sure that I have my new harnesses installed correctly and my Tcs system works the fast idle but will not shut off when the engine warms up.I also have a new delay relay but I am using my old reversing relay because I can't locate anew one.I have a new 519 voltage regulator and a new horn relay and the car has Air,350motor,350 auto trans.Help would be very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Amp gauge,

The amp gauge has two connections. A black wire and a black white (The general says it also has a dark blue stripe). They are routed from the cluster connector plug thru the forward lamp bulkhead connector and to the J block (black) the black/wh is connected to a soldered junction in the forward lamp harness. Both wires have a 20 ga (orange) fusible link at the under hood termination end.

At the cluster connector, disconnected from the cluster, check for voltage on each wire. Caution: if the bare contacts of the cluster connector contact ground sparks can fly. If either wire has no voltage check at the bulkhead, Check fusible links. Until the open in the circuit is found.

If voltage is present on both wires inspect the circuit card for a broken trace between the connector and the gauge.

To test the gauge connect a volt meter to the two gauge connections. With the ignition off there should be no voltage measured. Turn on the head lights, you should measure a small voltage difference. If you do measure voltage and the gauge doesn't show discharge the gauge is bad.

Temp gauge,

The temp gauge also has two connections. +12V supplied by the pink wire in the connector and a dk/green wire routed from the cluster connector thru the forward lamp harness bulk head connector and to the temp sender.

With the ignition on check for voltage on the green wire at the sender. If you have voltage you can ground the wire to send the gauge full scale +. Note: The ignition switch grounds the dk/green wire when in the start position this should also send the gauge full scale +. If there is no voltage check at the bulkhead, cluster connector etc.. until the open in the circuit is found.

Fast idle.

There is no fast idle solenoid. It's an idle stop solenoid. When power is applied, ignition on, the carb is set for normal idle. With power off, ignition off, the carb throttle plate closes below normal idle to help kill the engine or help prevent dieseling. Also it is not controlled by the TCS circuit.

Not sure what your referring to , delay relay and reversing relay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts