Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exploring using Gauge Pillar mount for my gauges......looking but not find any yet for 71 Chevelle. Anyone using Pillar Mount? Happy with them? I used to have my gauges under the dash and am trying to use different approach.... options are mounting on top of the console nearest the firewall and pillar mount............. Where did you find them? Thanks

·
Registered
8,900 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Excellent. I'd love to see some pics of it installed and how the angle of the gauges works for viewing. I was considering this myself, but am still debating between pillar mount or just under dash.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Received and mounted the 'universal' triple gauge pod.... pics below. takeaways follow:
1. universal means doesn't quite fit, or kind fits
2. purchased another set of pillar mounts so I wouldn't mess up my originals.....so the $16 universal pod cost went up by $100.....bought the set of urethane pillars (NPD) - not bad but different mounting holes to pillar - so new holes to drill.
3. since the pod didn't quite cleanly align with the pillar, I decided to mount it with screws....worked ok but certainly not the standards of Team Chevelle top work.
4. wiring went well. another step closer to back on the road.
5. I will see how the pillar pod holds up.....and let you all know....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I like the way that looks but I'm confused. Is that the three gauge pod from Amazon or one that I can't find at NPD?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Thanks for the follow up, those look good.

When sitting in the car, how well can you see the gauges? Any issue with the angles, or the height of that upper gauge?

I'm still debating on 3 or 2 - I really only need to mount an AFR and Trans Temp gauge. If I go for 3, the 3rd would be a vacuum gauge (not really necessary, but can be useful...)

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its the 3 gauge pod from amazon.....made by Glow Shift...it is supposed to come with installation kit (screws, screw hole cover tabs,etc) but did not... height and angle of all three gauges is good.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Looks good, I wonder if a little heat gun action might help to manipulate the pod casing for a better mating surface?
Also noticed you have a full gauge dash, why the redundancy?

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Darren - heat gun probably would have been good move.... I wound up using screws, epoxy, and some black caulking to seal.....heat gun would have been better.... I am not qualified on heat gun yet......have never even fam fired one. OOORAH! As far as redundancy, good point...... guess I wanted more accurate gauges especially for water temp and oil pressure.. I did get rid of the big ol extra tach I had on the steering wheel though! Using a dummy set of pillars lets me experiment.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Looks nice. How is ingress/egress? How does it look from outside the car with the door closed?

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ingress/egress good - no head bonks yet...... looks good from both windshield and side views.....I'll upload some pics

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Looks good, I wonder if a little heat gun action might help to manipulate the pod casing for a better mating surface?
Also noticed you have a full gauge dash, why the redundancy?
Just sort of a data point but I have a 2-gauge pillar in my chevelle, but since they only make them for coupes and I have a vert I did in fact have to use a heat gun. Worked well. This was years ago, but I just came across this thread while looking to see 3-pod options were out there.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Just sort of a data point but I have a 2-gauge pillar in my chevelle, but since they only make them for coupes and I have a vert I did in fact have to use a heat gun. Worked well. This was years ago, but I just came across this thread while looking to see 3-pod options were out there.
I forgot to post back here too. I wound up installing that universal 3 gauge pod. Used a heat gun as well. Here is a picture. It came out ok, not sure I like the angles of the gauges. I'm considering making a new setup...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts