Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a stainless steel fuel line for my 71 and was wondering how hard is it to remove the old one, and install the new one. Im talking about the line that runs from the fuel pump through(along?) the frame rail and back to the gas tank. can i do it in my driveway? or is it worth getting it up on the lift for ease? thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when they sent it to me they "folded" it to make it fit in the box. they didnt crease or pinch it. does it go through the fuel rail? or along the inside of it?

·
Registered
477 Posts
folded? thats weird, i dont know the inside is plastic line, i dont know of its flexibility i would think its like a starw bend it the wrong way it could snap, thats my thought on that,
blow with ur mouth or a compressore and hold the other end with your thump and see if any leaks.
i think a combination of in and along the chassie, in the middle of the frame you could tuk it in the open channel , and rest just make it look good and away from anymoving parts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I am curious about this also, does the Body need to be slightly lifted to install the new line???

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
I think if you removed the fuel tank and had that side on good jackstands that you could do it without a whole lot of hassle.

The lines are bent in such a large radius that the diameter is not hurt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If I remember right, it is nearly impossible to route it stock when it passes by the rear axle area. I custom routed mine, and it bothers me so much I am thinking about lifting the body off to fix it, or just run braided line. =D

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
I am curious about this also, does the Body need to be slightly lifted to install the new line???
Replacing the fuel line is a challenge. You will need to remove all passenger side body mount bolts to get the line between the rear frame crossmember and the body.

Carefully remove all the bolts by hand, no power tools. You will need to verify the bolts are not rusted in the body cage nuts. When backing them out, after the initial loosening, if they start to tighten up, turn them clockwise until they loosen. Back and forth until they come out smoothly. In the event a cage nut spins freely, not allowing the bolt to be removed, you will have to get to the nut (cutting the floor above the nut).

Once all bolts are removed, place a 2' to 3' 2x4 on a floor jack to insure there is distribution of pressure across the floor area of the body and jack the body slowly off the frame. You need the majority of the lift in the rear portion of the body to get the fuel line out. Watch for things that begin to bind or gaps closing up in the fender and door area. you don't want to chip paint. Once you get the body up as high as safely possible (no damage to paint , etc.). Place blocks between the body and frame (safety). and take some pressure off the jsck to allow slight pressure on the safety blocks.

Disconnect the existing fuel line from the pump and place a 3' length of fuel hose on the engine side of the line. This hose will help you snake the new line through the frame during installation. Remove all the fuel line clamps to the frame. Pull the line out. Once the line is past the opening in the rear portion of the front crossmember, you can remove the line from the hose and leave the hose in the crossmember. It's best to leave the old line intact, as this can help you to compare the bends in the new line (since it was bent in shipping).

Install the new line using techniques gained from the removal process. You need to make sure you don't pull too hard on the fuel hose while installing the fuel line through the front crossmember. If it come off, you will have a greater challenge.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
I installed a 1/2 SS line on my 70 and wrote a disertation on it if you search my posts. Or search 1/2" fuel line

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Where did you get that long Flexable fuel line ??

He's running SS Braided line. Unlike the SS hard line you're running. I would read up on the braided line before you decide to go that route, alot of negative feedback, to which I can confirm!

You will have to lift the body to install the new fuel line. HOWEVER, I found a way around it. You can cut and flare the line and install an inline fuel filter(g3727). BUT, the SS line will be quite challenging if you don't have a good flaring tool.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Tough to get a hard line through (impossible?) w/o raising the body to get over the rear hump? I used Russel twistlok hose and ran both feed and return along frame and over spring perch in back, but it was tight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I Have a Full Lenght Year One LH Fuel Line To Install on A 6 cylinder to V8 Conversion. Vapor or fuel return line .I Purchased the Gas sending unit with the return line; It is Impossible to install the LH fuel line Unless you lift the body. ; Has anyone installed one by cutting the fuel line in three or four sections ; and re-connecting them with compression fittings or rubber hose and gear clamps ?? If so wher to cut ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts