Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worked on my cooling system today and thanks to the tips I found here everything is much better.

I installed the Hayden Fan Clutch #2747 first. Really easy install. Remove 4 nuts and 4 screws, no problem.

Next was a DeWitt's direct fit radiator for automatic transmissions. Really great looking radiator. Fit was exactly the same. Again super easy.

Last thing we changed was the thermostat to a 160° unit.

I already had a shroud, made sure it was sealed as described in this forum.

Before, my car while driving on an 80°day would stay at 195°. Sitting in traffic it would reach 210°.

Now, the car while driving is 165°. When in traffic it creeped up slowly to 176°.

Over a 30° drop. I'm happy with the results. To anyone with cooling issues, the recommendations here in this forum really work, and the work to make the switch is easy.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you want/ need it to be 165?
My directions from Vortecpro said to keep the engine under 180°. It was only 80° here yesterday when I was driving, and I hit 176°. I'm guessing when the temps near 100° and/or when I get my Vintage Air installed, I may still have trouble keeping things under the recommended temp. I read about having the temp too low and possible sludge, but I feel I should follow the builders recommendations.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
Do you want/ need it to be 165?[/QUOTE
===============

You need to realize many guys here in T/C are often stating intake temp but back in the mid to later 60's into 70's more often then not gm monitored head temp for good reason and not intake which i wont get into here.

So oi he is in fact stating intake temp then his cruise temp of 165 deg intake temp = approx 180 deg(+ - few deg) & his in traffic temp of 176 deg = approx 191 deg (+ - few deg) which is right where the old school sbc/bbc motors perf well in street/strip apps.

His motors now approx 180-191 deg temp operating range just fine talking in head temp IMHO.

But if the temp he stated is in head temp and the motors running an in head temp of 165 deg at cruise in hotter 75-80+ deg summer temps thats too cold long term .

So if thats that case he needs to move up autozones 15356/160 hi flow stat to thier 15358/180 hi flow stat which will stabilize cooling system & motor at approx 190deg + - few deg.

But as i have stated mult times here in t/c that Dewitts hi qualty al rads (or a hd cooling 4 row std type rad) work great when teamed up with my rec hayden 2747 hd thermal fan clutch along with a gm clutch fan and shroud with 1 of the autozone hi flow stainless steel stats i rec is cooling system combo thats hard to beat .

Scott

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
My directions from Vortecpro said to keep the engine under 180°. It was only 80° here yesterday when I was driving, and I hit 176°. I'm guessing when the temps near 100° and/or when I get my Vintage Air installed, I may still have trouble keeping things under the recommended temp. I read about having the temp too low and possible sludge, but I feel I should follow the builders recommendations.
=====================

Are you stating intake or in head temps?

In warmer summer outside temps like the 80 deg your were driving in the intake temp reads roughly 10-15 deg on avg cooler then the headd does at the same time .

So if thats the case your doing just fine and even if your stating in head temp of 176 deg and the motor doesnt run much cooler then that you will by just fine.

Mark Jones knows what he's doing and the temp he states thats best case to keep the motor he built at is what you should do.

From my past 42+ yrs exp wrenching old school bbc/sbc street perf motors i have found that where they are in stock to mild perf lvl to even pretty stout trim they all seem to run best in 180 deg range (+ -5 deg) for street/strip use talkiing in head temp which is where GM engineers chose to monitor engine temp in many cases esp from later 60's thru mind 70's.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts