Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just purchased a used 71 am/fm stereo for his Chevelle and we need a little help with the factory wire codes. The factory female plug is there but all the wires were snipped about 1 inch from the connector so the colors are present but not named. From the looks of it the yellow is +12, grey is display/light and the black is ground. On the 2nd row I have (from the edge) blk, brn, prpl, brn, and grn. The green wire actually has two green wires attached to the connector which is confusing?
I'm assuming that all speaker - connections are terminated to the black connections since they all seem to be tied together at the radio connector. Any help on left/right front/back would be appreciated. And...Whats the deal with the two green wires?

Thanks!
Dave

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Dave

Coppertop would be the best person to answer your questions. However looking at the back of the radio the wires are as follows. Outside row (4 pins) Lamp, +12V, GND, and GND. Inside row (5 pins) RR, LR, RF, LF, and GND. The GND connection on the inside row will connect to all the speakers rather than chassis ground.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the pinout info. The thing thats confusing me now is the fact that his factory front speakers have green wires running from the front speakers, and the factory connector attached to the radio has the two green wires on the far inside pin. This pin is the one marked RR?
I'm stumped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts