Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen the individual 4-5-4 numbers on the tailgate on 71-72 bb el caminos as indicated in the assembly manual??? ( Maybe 70 e/c also)

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
369 Posts
My 1970 Assembly manual shows a 454 El Camino w/name plates on pages 43 & 44, both on front fender and tailgate. It's possible there may be different versions of the assembly manual from different sources so my page numbers might not apply to a different assembly manual...advise if you are unable to find, my other assembly manual is in the garage and may be different.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks could be only 71-72 .thanks for images can't tell but those look like one piece numbers

·
Premium Member
6,887 Posts
I haven’t looked at it in a long time and my resources are still packed from a recent move, but the emblem in my assembly manual was a one piece. Now here’s the trick, not all SS454 El Camino had the 454 on the tailgate. I restored an original one back in the 90s and it absolutely did not have one.

Since this was the first year with a small block and the 402 didn’t get them, there would have to be a coordination between the tailgates and cars with 454 only.

·
Premium Member
6,887 Posts
I haven’t looked at it in a long time and my resources are still packed from a recent move, but the emblem in my assembly manual was a one piece. Now here’s the trick, not all SS454 El Camino had the 454 on the tailgate. I restored an original one back in the 90s and it absolutely did not have one.

Since this was the first year with a small block and the 402 didn’t get them, there would have to be a coordination between the tailgates and cars with 454 only.
I couldn't edit so I'm adding this. I should have clarified my car and assembly manual were 1971 specific. I don't know about 1972, which could be different.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Allen is correct. My 72 454 SS EC was born without the 454 tag on the tailgate. Also of note, the 70-72 454 fender badges are a different part number than the badge used on the tailgate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts