Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following hilljack's delima below and it raises some questions for me. I took the dash and wiring harness from a 72 monte to put in my 71 chevelle. The monte was and f/s automatic car. The chevelle is a 4 speed car I was going to swap steering columns also. Will that cause problems with the wiring?? Particularly on the column wiring. It seems like this should be a pretty easy swap. Now I'm concerned?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Suggest that you pick up a schematic for each harness. Both basic schematics are in the Haynes Chevelle book #625 available at Pep Boys or one of the other chains. I'm not sure if they made the same changes in the Monte as they did in the 72 Chevelle. If they did the Chevelles are not directly interchangeable between the 71 and 72. They changed around how power was bought into the car and feed it into the opposite bulkhead connector. You will need to move things around between the bulkhead connectors. Also the TCS wiring is different, but you may not care about that. Anyway, get both schematics and go from there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
For what it's worth, I installed a wiring harness from a 72 Monty with idiot light into my 72 Chevelle originally with sweep dash. Everything powered up fine. Both cars were automatics.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If I remember correctly the Factory Serv Manual wiring diag lists the Monte and SS option dashes as the same.
Carnut, if you still have the switch that attached to the console shifter I'd like to purchase that from you.
Email me plz

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
You can never fix a Ford,You can only work on them alot.
70 442
The Z-meano
Cowl induction injection

[This message has been edited by pmullaly (edited 08-24-2002).]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Philip :-( that switch is already gone.

------------------
71 SS 454
M-21
4:11 Rear

[This message has been edited by car-nut (edited 08-24-2002).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts