Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevrolet literature seems to indicate that the only way to get Cowl Induction in '71 and '72 was to also order the 454. I've heard claims of some '71-'72 Cowl Inducted 350 and 402 cars. So, the available information is contradictory. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge ?

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
Big Block was the requirement. I personslly ordered in Mar '72, and took delivery in Apr, of a Concours wagon, loaded with all pwr and air, 402, wide Muncie with a bench, the roof luggage rack, your basic loaded family wagon,--------------------------------and-----------------a Cowl Induction hood WITHOUT stripes. The salesman said I had to give him a $500. non-refundable deposit. I did. In '75 I got divorced, my ex got the wagon, wrecked it twice, let it sit and go to rust and ruin and then told our youngest son he could have what was left (EVERY PIECE WAS STILL THERE). In '97, while my youngest son was in the Navy, we located a straight '71 Malibu and cloned an SS using ALL the good stuff from the wagon (the hood was undamaged). So, to answer your question, all that was required for a CI hood was a BB.

------------------

·
Registered
337 Posts
That's too bad about the wagon, that would be worth something today.
That would be the functional hood with the flapper not the SS hood.A lot of people call them both Cowl Indution.

·
Registered
13,149 Posts
JSL,
This is true, but, 2 good things ultimately came out of that divorce. I got rid of a really bad person and, literally, from the radiator to the rear lug nuts, the entire drivetrain, pwr discs, tilt, CI hood and misc other parts are on a 71 cloned SS that my younger son and I put together from the old wagon. She did everything possible to turn my boys against me and this project turned this around. So, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.