Team Chevelle banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2,362 Posts
A 70 SS that was originally equipped with an open element air cleaner (non cowl induction) used a low rise intake. The breather tube pointed toward the heater box and used a curved hose that connected to the 90 degree fitting installed in the valve cover. Not the one shown in post #10. The straight hose pictured there was used with the 69 and earlier tall intakes.
Yup, the #163 aluminum intake is what is on my one car with the post #10 parts.

· Registered
1970 SS 396 25-C, 1966 SS R-R
1,184 Posts
zookeepers is correct that the original style open air cleaner will not work with a Holley double pumper. The vent tube contacts the rear accelerator pump. Many people removed the vent tube and plugged the hole then installed a push in breather in the valve cover. I did this back in the 80’s and threw the vent tube away, wish I had kept it.

· Premium Member
Rochester, New York
2,347 Posts
The vent tube contacts the rear accelerator pump. Many people removed the vent tube and plugged the hole then installed a push in breather in the valve cover.
OR (as I've seen examples for sale at swap meets) - beat the daylights out of the tube in order to flatten it enough to clear the acc. pump. I don't believe this ever worked (n) :LOL:

· Registered
425 Posts
I use this base on a Holley 3310, I don't see why it won't work with a DP850 unless the throat is larger. I decided just to go with a breather in that vc the height difference is way off and a longer 1" hose would look stupid.
It doesn't fit because of interference with the secondary accelerator pump...works with vacuum secondary Holleys. I used a breather and removed and plugged the tube in the base.

· Premium Member
1970 Chevelle SS396
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I sure do appreciate all the comments guys. I checked out the ss396.com unit and description says: "works with most four barrel carburetors; a spacer will be needed for aftermarket carburetors with electric choke." My carb is a Edelbrock 700/800 series with the electric choke installed by PO. The aftermarket element unit on my carb has a 1 inch spacer on the lower tray. I do have a matching #'s motor and tranny, but I am hesitant to buy a costly original element unless I know if it will fit on this carb. I am not after a concourse car, but just close. Doesn't look like the aftermarket lower tray has much of a spacer and afraid if I need to add a spacer may cause problems with hood. Ideas...?

· Registered
7,920 Posts
Not sure if that (SS396 unit) will work for an Edelbrock with electric choke. You might give them a call.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts