Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
1970 Chevelle SS396
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did do a search and could not find my answer. Bought a GM NOS 90 degree elbow for the passenger valve cover to replace the non-standard breather can the PO had on there. The elbow is 1 inch and the receiver on the bottom of my open element air cleaner is 3/4. Wondering if there is an adapter I am missing to connect the two? I was thinking of just sliding a 3/4 inch hose on the air cleaner and maybe the 1 inch hose from the elbow will slide over it. I looked at OPGI and other parts stores to see if I could get a 1 inch air cleaner adapter, but no luck. Thx...

Attachments

· Premium Member
1970 Chevelle SS396
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi John
Your chrome base looks like an aftermarket piece-a gm open element base is black-as well 1970 original open element bases are 1 yr only and different from all the other ones-the vent tube sticks past the base 1 "-I tried to post the link(my old computer)-but if you go on Yenko.net and search "open element"chads454ls6 had one for sale with great pictures-original 1970 ones are hard to find and expensive-not sure if any of the reproduction ones they sell have the proper vent tube-hope this helps!
Keep on Cruising!!!
Dave
Thanks Dave I will check Chads out.
This is the best deal out there on an open element air cleaner. My problem is I run the old style M/T valve covers and the elbo and hose do not line up with the air cleaner.
1964-1972 Chevrolet Open Element Air Cleaner Kit (ss396.com)
View attachment 759828

View attachment 759829
Thanks for the pics./ I will check out the SS396 info.

· Premium Member
1970 Chevelle SS396
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The correct open element for 1970 only was GM#6485239-if you search on here and Yenko site it has some good info and pictures-hope this helps-I have a nos one in gm box I bought/found years ago-haven't seen a nos one since-I just sold a factory gm one.
Keep on Cruising!!!
Dave
Would you consider selling that one you have in the box Dave? I'm in WI.

· Premium Member
1970 Chevelle SS396
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I sure do appreciate all the comments guys. I checked out the ss396.com unit and description says: "works with most four barrel carburetors; a spacer will be needed for aftermarket carburetors with electric choke." My carb is a Edelbrock 700/800 series with the electric choke installed by PO. The aftermarket element unit on my carb has a 1 inch spacer on the lower tray. I do have a matching #'s motor and tranny, but I am hesitant to buy a costly original element unless I know if it will fit on this carb. I am not after a concourse car, but just close. Doesn't look like the aftermarket lower tray has much of a spacer and afraid if I need to add a spacer may cause problems with hood. Ideas...?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts