Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Premium Member
1970 Chevelle SS396
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did do a search and could not find my answer. Bought a GM NOS 90 degree elbow for the passenger valve cover to replace the non-standard breather can the PO had on there. The elbow is 1 inch and the receiver on the bottom of my open element air cleaner is 3/4. Wondering if there is an adapter I am missing to connect the two? I was thinking of just sliding a 3/4 inch hose on the air cleaner and maybe the 1 inch hose from the elbow will slide over it. I looked at OPGI and other parts stores to see if I could get a 1 inch air cleaner adapter, but no luck. Thx...

Attachments

· Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
1,806 Posts
To make this correct you really ought get to a correct GM style air cleaner base, the factory connected the two with a short piece of hose, your method will work but you may end up wrestling with it, getting it to fit and each time you have to remove the air cleaner or valve cover.

· Registered
14,161 Posts
Are you sure??????
As I remember, the hose connecting the 2 is a different size on each end.
Yes? No?

· Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Hi John
Your chrome base looks like an aftermarket piece-a gm open element base is black-as well 1970 original open element bases are 1 yr only and different from all the other ones-the vent tube sticks past the base 1 "-I tried to post the link(my old computer)-but if you go on Yenko.net and search "open element"chads454ls6 had one for sale with great pictures-original 1970 ones are hard to find and expensive-not sure if any of the reproduction ones they sell have the proper vent tube-hope this helps!
Keep on Cruising!!!
Dave

· Premium Member
1,000 Posts
The correct open element for 1970 only was GM#6485239-if you search on here and Yenko site it has some good info and pictures-hope this helps-I have a nos one in gm box I bought/found years ago-haven't seen a nos one since-I just sold a factory gm one.
Keep on Cruising!!!
Dave

· Premium Member
Rochester, New York
2,347 Posts
This OP's car! (y)

· Registered
132 Posts
My non cowl 70 has a factory GM open element air cleaner if you want me to take some pics or measurements. I thought there was someone out there that made a correct Repro air cleaner. Yes, my elbow and hose look just like that in Post#10. i.e. The size is same on both sides - elbow and air cleaner.

· Registered
2,362 Posts
This is the best deal out there on an open element air cleaner. My problem is I run the old style M/T valve covers and the elbo and hose do not line up with the air cleaner.
1964-1972 Chevrolet Open Element Air Cleaner Kit (ss396.com)
View attachment 759828

View attachment 759829
Couldn't you make it work by rotating the tube and still use the right angle metal tube and rotate it to fit in a longer rubber jumper hose. I don't think that the base fits double pumper Holley, at least not an 850.

· Registered
7,920 Posts
Couldn't you make it work by rotating the tube and still use the right angle metal tube and rotate it to fit in a longer rubber jumper hose. I don't think that the base fits double pumper Holley, at least not an 850.
I use this base on a Holley 3310, I don't see why it won't work with a DP850 unless the throat is larger. I decided just to go with a breather in that vc the height difference is way off and a longer 1" hose would look stupid.

· Premium Member
1970 Chevelle SS396
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi John
Your chrome base looks like an aftermarket piece-a gm open element base is black-as well 1970 original open element bases are 1 yr only and different from all the other ones-the vent tube sticks past the base 1 "-I tried to post the link(my old computer)-but if you go on Yenko.net and search "open element"chads454ls6 had one for sale with great pictures-original 1970 ones are hard to find and expensive-not sure if any of the reproduction ones they sell have the proper vent tube-hope this helps!
Keep on Cruising!!!
Dave
Thanks Dave I will check Chads out.
This is the best deal out there on an open element air cleaner. My problem is I run the old style M/T valve covers and the elbo and hose do not line up with the air cleaner.
1964-1972 Chevrolet Open Element Air Cleaner Kit (ss396.com)
View attachment 759828

View attachment 759829
Thanks for the pics./ I will check out the SS396 info.

· Premium Member
1970 Chevelle SS396
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The correct open element for 1970 only was GM#6485239-if you search on here and Yenko site it has some good info and pictures-hope this helps-I have a nos one in gm box I bought/found years ago-haven't seen a nos one since-I just sold a factory gm one.
Keep on Cruising!!!
Dave
Would you consider selling that one you have in the box Dave? I'm in WI.

· Registered
1970 SS 396 25-C, 1966 SS R-R
1,184 Posts
A 70 SS that was originally equipped with an open element air cleaner (non cowl induction) used a low rise intake. The breather tube pointed toward the heater box and used a curved hose that connected to the 90 degree fitting installed in the valve cover. Not the one shown in post #10. The straight hose pictured there was used with the 69 and earlier tall intakes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts