Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a picture on the net showing this mirror ,I have this option#UF1 on my car and i just bought one and want to know if the back is all black like the one i got?
The interior of my car is black , Im told it might be gray.
But its not chrome like the standard mirror.

Kirk #546

------------------

·
Registered
934 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yup,
71-72 mirrors are black on the back, 70 on back are chrome

·
Registered
934 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JSL:
Yup,
71-72 mirrors are black on the back, 70 on back are chrome
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JSL,

Every 71 I ever saw had a chrome mirror. The only black ones were 72's.

Anybody else here know about the 71's?

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

http://members.spree.com/entertainment/mr409/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 71SS with that mirror and it's chrome. I have heard that the chrome back mirrors are very hard to get now due to some legal issue. Not sure why. Does anybody else know?

Thanks
Art

[This message has been edited by Art (edited 01-25-2000).]

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Here's the scoop guys...

I've only seen '72 Chevelles with black-backed mirrors. As far as I know 1970-1971 were the chrome-backed mirror years.

As far as legal issues...

Well, the thing is most if not all restoration suppliers have "chrome-back" mirrors, however, they are actually ILLEGAL to use on a car driven on the road

Look carefully in most parts suppliers catalog (in fine print of course or in parenthesis)It mentions these are illegal.

Here's why: The reflections caused by oncoming headlights shine off the chrome on the mirrors and cause distractions.

I've never witnessed this being a problem, however I've never seen a '70-71 Chevelle coming towards me at night with my headlights on so I don't know how much of a problem this is.

It may just be the manufacturing of the repros, or ALL mirrors with chrome backs are illegal, but if your car still has it (like my '70) perhaps were "protected" by some "OEM clause". I don't know.

Anyone care to add?

·
Registered
72 Posts
as of Jan 1 1972 Federal law required the back of these mirrors to be non reflective so if its black its a 1972 mirror and not to be picky
but its polished stainless steel, not chrome

------------------
John
Catapiller Mechanic
Salinas,Ca
70SS 454 Clone {in construction}

·
Registered
934 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by catman:
as of Jan 1 1972 Federal law required the back of these mirrors to be non reflective so if its black its a 1972 mirror and not to be picky
but its polished stainless steel, not chrome

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be picky! I love little tid bits of information like this. I guess that's why I never saw a rusted one!

That stuff about reflections...what a crock. Can you believe something like that? I know it's true but sounds ridiculous. Now that's picky!

Shine on...

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

http://members.spree.com/entertainment/mr409/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
45 Posts
Let me get this straight, the rear-view mirror was a problem because of light reflected back to on-coming traffic. Sure glad they didn't apply this thinking to that big chrome bumper up front!

·
Registered
72 Posts
LOL
hehe... good one ! I believe there lame thinking was the fact that the mirror is at eye level more or less ,, Hey if law makers did dream this **** up they would be out of a job

------------------
John
Catapiller Mechanic
Salinas,Ca
70SS 454 Clone {in construction}

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys i have found out what i need

70ss option UF1 in Canada is the Map light on the rear view Mirror Yes it should be chrome on the back and Black or gray rubber ring around it .

Thanks for the Help !!!

Kirk #546 ACES#3228

------------------

·
Registered
115 Posts
Kirk, a 70 mirror should have the grey rubber around it, not black!!! I think that is how 71's differ from the 70's mirror!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've never seen a Chevelle mirror with a black back on it. I know the '71's have the stainless though and the gray rubber surround. Sooner or later I'm gonna have to take down my mirror and have it re-silvered because it has some strange crazing going on inside it. I gotta admit though, that day/night feature sure helps a lot when you've got those annoying tailgaters following ya at night!

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Factory Dual Exhaust
Non-SS with Factory Rallies!
TH-350 Automatic - 2.73 Posi Rear
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com

·
Registered
111 Posts
I adapted a 72 Monte mirror to my 66. It gave me a day/night option and is twice he size. It's black. I had a 70 lighted mirror from a parts car. it was "silver?" with a gray rubber around it. What a reflecting subject, hee-hee.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.