Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I couldn't resist. I had to check out a '70 SS for sale in the paper. I have my '70 Malibu, and I do feel like I "cheated" by looking at another. But the yearn for an 70 SS at a reasonable price overcame me.
Wouldn't you be enticed:

"70 Chevelle SS, 66K miles, 6.5K on 350/375 engine, M22, 12bolt 3.73, etc. $6200"

He needs to sell it before winter hits. He's only had it for 6 months. As it typically goes, anything that sounds too good to be true usually is. I knew ahead that the 350 was not the original; he said it was an SS396 originally. When I got there, it looked good from afar, but the body has issues; bad patch job on panels, rust, bubbles, mismatched shades of (red) paint, nothing lines up. Broken hood release, chipped glass, sagging door, cheap trunk floor repair job, ripped seats, big radio hole in SS dash.
So I asked myself the proverbial question - is it a real SS? I checked out the SS portfolio - it does have SS tach dash, rear SS bumper pad, SS grille emblem, domed hood, SS door panel emblems, front power disk brakes and label on brake pedal, rear sway bar, the big (4 bolt top) radiator. I couldn't check for boxed control arms. Did I miss anything else?
The reason I'm questioning it is because I can't believe anyone would make such a mess of an original SS - small block, hacked dash, crappy body panel work, removed SS396 emblems from front fenders, overall neglected condition.
What do you think - does it sound like it is an SS? Did I do my homework properly?

And the more general question is - If someone SAYS it's an SS, and everything appears to BE SS, how can you ultimately be sure?
Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
777 Posts
You will need either an original Protect-o Plate, or an original build sheet for the car. Either of these items are the ONLY way to verify a true SS for the 69-72 model years. It was a trim option, and cannot be verified using the VIN.

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Tom,

This questions pops up often in the Tech Area. I too in the begining of my search had similiar questions and delemas. As I learned through Team Chevelle and research thru various publications, the only way to identify a true SS from 68 and up is thru the Buld Sheet, Protecto Plate, original invoice or other documatation. Another fairly reliable way is if the car is a matching numbers big block car. For 68 - 70 I believe only the big block was available in the SS. So if the car had a matching numbers big block it would most likely be an original SS. In 72 they added a code to identify the engine, however the SS could have had a small block that year.

Everything you describe about the car sounds SS, However I will tell you its not that difficult to clone an SS. After 29 years of this cars existence anything is possible.

If your that hot on the car, find the vin number on the M22 as I beleive only the SS in 70 could have had the M22, unless you caould have specailly ordered it in a Malibu. If the vin on the M22 matches the car its a very good possibility the car is an SS

Hope this helps

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Sea Mist Green
N.J.
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

·
Registered
321 Posts
Candian built SS cars WILL have the the SS option code (Z25 for my instance) on the body cowl tag.

------------------
??michael j Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 4sp, Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

·
Registered
321 Posts
I forgot to add this:

Look elsewhere for your SS. That car sounds like too of a hassle.

------------------
??michael j Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 4sp, Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

·
Registered
425 Posts
Too much $$$ for it's condition, even if it is an SS.

A minimum rough estimate to fix up the car:

$ 4000 - 5000 body repair and paint
$ 2000 - 5000 for BB engine
$ 1000+ New interior

Will you have a $12K - $15K car when done???

My opinion...

Bill

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I didn't mean to ask if the car was worth the $$$, but I guess it's the next logical question after validating the SS. In its defense, the engine has been completely built up, <6K mi, cam rollers, dyno'd at 375hp. There's even a fuel pressure gauge on the dual-feed. All receipts. The tranny supposedly rebuilt 1K ago. That's the primary attraction. Someone put serious money into the drivetrain, but weren't too concerned about the detailing of the body. If I knew I could sell the hipo 350 and break even on a big block, it might even balance out the investment.
Bill T, I see you're in NH. The car is in the WantAD this week...

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hehe, don't even let yourself THINK that you will beable to sell the 350 and break even on a BB. I just sold a SB 350 that was quite "beefy" and I got a sweet price for it, didn't even cover half the cost of the BB (454 in my case).

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.