Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 70 ss 396 What is the distance front and back from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the chrome wheel opening molding

What is correct hieght I am replacing rear springs and am looking for the right looking
hieght. I know the back should be abit lower

Kirk # 546

------------------

·
Super Moderator
16,055 Posts
Sorry, I don't know the measurement you are looking for, (I know 65's), but the measurement you want to take is from the top of the rear axle housing to the frame and from the outer tip of the lower a-frame to the top edge of the frame. The result is about the same, but measuring from the frame to suspension components is more accurate and can also identify misadjusted suspension components. The measurements you need and where to take the measurement is outlined in the Chevrolet shop manual and the assembly manual for your car (if you don't have one or the other, spend the $20-$30 to get one or the other, invaluable source for info).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This does not have to be 100% Maybe some measurements from the ground to the bottom of the chrome moulding .

Kirk #546

------------------

·
Registered
148 Posts
Kirk,

I don't have a '70 Factory Ass. manual, but I looked in both my '68 and '72's. They show the measurement from the top of the rear axle housing to the bottom of frame. I did find some other clearances which may help you out.

Bumper to ground (front) 14.3"
Bumper to ground (rear) 15.1"

Rocker panel front to ground 8.5"
Rocker panel rear to ground 7.2"

Step height front (design) 12.5

If you know the Part# or Assembly code, I can reference my '70 restoration manual and give you the specs.

Hope this helped you

------------------
Richard Dorrough
Tulsa, Ok
'68 Chevelle (CHVLLE)
'70 Nomad
ACES # 789

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Kirk I recently replaced my springs with stock replacement TRW's and the measurements you are looking for are--14.5 inches rear and front are 15 inches. These measurements are with the A/C front spring with no A/C installed and a big block w/iorn heads. The rear are standard with a near empty tank( typical for this car) and no spare tire. I hope this helps you in an idea on how it will sit.

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
floor to crest of opening chrome on my 70 454 w/ air and gas

front 24.25
rear 23.75
see pic of my car to see if this is how you want yours to sit

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
46 but feeling like 20 when i'm in my 70 SS 454