Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm considering rewiring my chevelle, and I was looking at the painless wiring and M&H.

I did a search on it and I'm in a toss between the two! I was wondering who has done which one and what they thought about it. Was it, well.. Painless or would you have gone with another?

I'm pretty new to rewiring things, I did redo the back light harness on my own, but that was pretty simple..

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
27,718 Posts
I used M&H when replacing the engine and front light harnesses in my '70 last spring.

A word of advice...order ahead. At one point, there was about a 6 week wait on M&H harnesses.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I used M & H for my Camaro and would strongly recommend them. (there's a recent thread in the "el Camino" section on this forum) I've known a few people, who've used Painless' harnesses in their custom street rods and race cars, who were happy with the generic, build it to your needs harnesses. No doubt good quality.

But if you're rewiring/restoring a factory/production car, then M & H will get it back to like it was with ZERO hassle. The harnesses use all the factory colors, lengths, connectors, and attachment points. You'd be able to use a factory wiring schematic or follow things through from your assembly manual so no "Custom guesswork or excuses" for anyone who might be working on your car down the road, so to speak. I don't know if Painless builds harnesses like the factory did. Like I said, Painless makes good stuff, but for my purposes I'd go with M & H.

SKIP

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've done both (Painless with a '71 Nova and M&H with my '70 Chevelle). The M&H is WELL worth the price and wait. IT makes everything faster and simpler. It looks better too in my opinion. They use high quality wire and back it up with great service. My vote is for M&H!

·
Premium Member
13,563 Posts
Some of the parts vendors have the harness' in stock, check around in Ca.

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you do order directly from M&H, don't forget to tell them you are a Team Chevelle member. I ordered a dash harness and got 10% or 15% off.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was actually gonna order through GroundUP! Was like $68-78 dollars, plus shipping.

Think ordering directly would be much cheaper?
I was ordering the harness with a bunch of other stuff as well.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Originally posted by cx1:
I was actually gonna order through GroundUP! Was like $68-78 dollars, plus shipping.

Think ordering directly would be much cheaper?
I was ordering the harness with a bunch of other stuff as well.
Not to knock our beloved sponsor :rolleyes: , but I've found it easier and faster to just order directly from M&H. I live in Socal so it just makes sense (no reason to have it go from Socal to back East back to Socal), same for you. You will get it much faster if you just go through them directly.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I oredered a bunch of electrical components from Ground Up, including an engine harness, on a Thursday and rec'd the Engine Harness on Monday. The engine harness was shipped from M&H directly to me. I live in San Jose, CA, so that wasn't a problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've used M&H for the engine compartment wiring harnesses on my 71 El Camino and they were super easy to install. And that was my first wiring experience.
I guess it depends on what you want. If you want to copy what the general did, than go with M&H. If you want to go custom, than Painless is the ticket.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Anyone have a web site or phone # for M&H. Thanks.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks ben70, Looks like ILL be spending some money there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts