Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my TH-350 replaced with a 700R4. The 700r4 crunches when changing gears, whether from park to reverse, or to drive. It made the start-up of the engine much rougher, and I can also hear it turning at idle. I can hear it over my headers, so I'm very concerned. The shop says its normal but I have never heard a tranny as loud as this. The 350 was nice and quiet. I know very little about transmissions.

The shift points at WOT are about 5200 rpms, but the car will not shift into 4th gear until around 55 mph under normal driving. This just doesn't seem right. Please help.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
May sound stupid but have you removed the converter dust shield? I had a time with my aftermarket chrome one. How much of the driveshaft did you cut? If the yoke is sticking out of the tailhousing to far or if you have to much of it inside with no room for it to travel it will cause a noise. I'm also sure you used the proper dipstick and have checked the fluid level. I'm not going to tell you wich two out of three I had problems with no matter how long you laught at me. :eek: Is your TV cable hooked up and set correctly and did you use a linkage adapter on the carb to get the correct geometry?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, I did not do the work. I can do the rest of the drivetrain, but never worked with transmissions. The shop said 2.5 inches had to come off the drive shaft. As for the TV cable, I wouldn't know how to check if it is set right.

·
Premium Member
4,777 Posts
What you said is not right, Eric- Shouldn't do those things... The cable adjustment is not too tough if you want to alter the shift a bit...

·
Registered
642 Posts
You have an interference issue, probably flex plate/converter related. Tell the shop to fix it or take them to court. Can't believe they said the noise is "Normal"

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the help, everyone. I think I'm just gonna have to learn to build transmissions, so this never happens again.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tried to pick the car up today. Still having problems. At least they are paying for a rental car now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So now they've had my car for three weeks. Everytime they opened the tranny after a test drive, they discovered a broken 4th planetary gear. Shortened the driveshaft another 3/4 inch, and now the TV cable isn't working. The bearings in my axle are bad now, too. Could that be a result of the driveshaft being too long?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Maybe the folks that are working on your car should be on this site asking for help...sounds like they need it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Get ahold of Jake at Jakes Performance. He knows his stuff and builds a great transmission. He will be able to steer you in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
And he lives in Texas- maybe you should get it out of that shop and over to Jakes- even if it takes a rollback!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sent Jake an e-mail and printed some information about the TV cable. By the way, I was aware that the driveshaft has nothing to do with the Tv cable going out. I think, with the help of all the threads I've been reading on this forum, we've isolated what has been giving most of the problems. They were using the throttle cable bracket from my TH350 for the TV cable. No Bueno. Hopefully, that will solve the problem.

I have to give them credit. They have paid for a rental car for about a week and a half, and always take me seriously. They have been trying to do anything to keep me happy. I think it was just something out of the ordinary for them. I'll keep the thread updated. Thanks for all of your help.

J

·
0 Posts
It sounds like they are on the right path.

A typical trans shop may be very good at the rebuilding portion but not really understand the common issues when retrofitting into a non-stock application.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts