Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been poking around for a while trying to find a reputable place to get my 700R4. Some guys on another site were talking about this guy below being pretty good.

Has anyone heard of this place:
Bowtie Overdrives - View Item

I was looking at one of the level 2 transmissions they offer. My 383 is a Blueprint Engine with 420hp. I am in Northern California, not sure if anyone is around this area (Sacramento). I'd be real pumped to find something under $1500. I read TCI may not be a good option?

Thanks.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,822 Posts
I would try to find someone local, easier to take care of if there are problems. You are correct about TCI. :frown2:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, good call. I'll just start buzzing some shops.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a reputable 5 star place in town. Mid performance level build for $1960 without converter / no core. I would have guessed closer to $1500. Seem a bit steep?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I used Phoenix transmissions in Weatherford, TX, but that is a little far for you. they are also in the just under 2k range though.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,740 Posts
Had a local trans shop quote me $2000 for 700r4, 2500 conv, vette sunschell ( I think that's what they called it) I supply TV cable and shifter they install everything with a warranty, they do the DS work/cut, no core.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I put that exact Bowtie Overdrives 700R4 in my 69 Camaro behind a 405 hp Blueprint 383 in 2010. Transmission has been great, no problems ever. Shifts very crisply, like it. Have put about 15,000 miles on it.

Just pulled it and put it in a Tremec 5-speeed in the Camaro. Going to put the 700R4 (untouched) in my 70 El Camino to replace the well worn junkyard truck 700R4 that's in it. Looking forward to having the much better transmission in the Elky, should wake the 350 in it up.

I think the Bowties Overdrive 700R4 is a good transmission at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put that exact Bowtie Overdrives 700R4 in my 69 Camaro behind a 405 hp Blueprint 383 in 2010. Transmission has been great, no problems ever. Shifts very crisply, like it. Have put about 15,000 miles on it.

Just pulled it and put it in a Tremec 5-speeed in the Camaro. Going to put the 700R4 (untouched) in my 70 El Camino to replace the well worn junkyard truck 700R4 that's in it. Looking forward to having the much better transmission in the Elky, should wake the 350 in it up.

I think the Bowties Overdrive 700R4 is a good transmission at a reasonable price.
Thanks, that's good to know. Local would be nice and I like this shop in town I found, I told them I'll buy the converter and I am also installing it, he didn't mentioned if that was with tax so I am curious about that too. I may give them a call again today and ask them if I find a core if that'll knock the price down a bit. At least I have one of two places to choose from. The Bowtie dude looks good, and our engines are damn close. I was going to get that same Blueprint engine 405hp. I ended up with the 420hp model and aluminum heads, and... "accidental" click at check out :)

Reactions: Miguel Camino

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I've have same transmission, but with the level 3 kit. Way overbuilt for my current motor, but a buddy had it in his 600 HP Camaro and sold it to me.

It's been great so far! I've put about 10k miles on it without any issues.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've have same transmission, but with the level 3 kit. Way overbuilt for my current motor, but a buddy had it in his 600 HP Camaro and sold it to me.

It's been great so far! I've put about 10k miles on it without any issues.
Nice, what engine are you running?
Im going to show my local builder the Bowties Level 2 and see if they can do something comparable. Otherwise a $500 price difference is a hard hit for something really similar. Both of my choices are California, Bowties is Southern California, the other is about 10 minutes away. So... we'll see, both good chocies. The local spot Im considering is House of Automatic Transmissions by the way.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Nice, what engine are you running?
Im going to show my local builder the Bowties Level 2 and see if they can do something comparable. Otherwise a $500 price difference is a hard hit for something really similar. Both of my choices are California, Bowties is Southern California, the other is about 10 minutes away. So... we'll see, both good chocies. The local spot Im considering is House of Automatic Transmissions by the way.
Good to know! I'm located up in Nor Cal too. Roseville area. I have a 383 with really crummy 882 heads, so I'm thinking I'm in the 325-375HP crank numbers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts