Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,557 Posts
I would find a reputable Trans place locally, florida is a long way to ship a trans if it isn't right. Good luck!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leo i'm looking for someone that has done this. Is it worth the investment ect. I'm looking for imput.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Is it worth the investment ect. I'm looking for imput.
I have a 700R4 in my Chevelle (with the standard 3:06 first gear) and frankly, with all the torque the big block engine puts out, the rpm drop between 1st and 2nd speeds isn't a problem at all. It could be a problem for engines with small cubic inches and not a lot of torque... but not for a big block.

Claude.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looking at 600 hp 600 tq i'm thinking i don't want trans to shift in 15' So far i have found 1 person love's it. still looking for more

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Tim that 700R4 will not last long behind the Engine you have IMHO
of course all dependant on how you use/abuse it

If you want better Ratios and a Trany that will last and out perf then look at a 4L80
basically a TH400 with a Over Drive

What are you going to use which car for ??

Just Cruzin / Street & Strip or ????

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
If you want better Ratios and a Trany that will last and out perf then look at a 4L80
basically a TH400 with a Over Drive
The 4L80 might be a good transmission but it comes with a few disadvantages: First you got to purchase a computer to make it work, so more expensive. Second, in many cases they require modifications to the floor pan. Third, they weigh a ton!... not ideal for racing.
A 700R4 when properly prepared with all the "bullet proof" parts will last, no problem.... I know, I have one. :thumbsup:

Claude.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
The 4L80 might be a good transmission but it comes with a few disadvantages: First you got to purchase a computer to make it work, so more expensive[/U]. Second, in many cases they require modifications to the floor pan. Third, they weigh a ton!... not ideal for racing.
A 700R4 when properly prepared with all the "bullet proof" parts will last, no problem.... I know, I have one. :thumbsup:
Claude.

Hi Claude
first off you do not need a Expensive Computer for a Full Manual 4L80 - 2FM
see about 1/3rd the way down the page .....
4L80E – Jake's Performance
By getting the 4L80 - 2FM for Forward Shifting with a cheap Manual Control Box of around $ 250.us
http://www.jakesperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Manual-Control-Box-Instructions-04012016.pdf

Second in most cases a Chevelle's Floors do not need to be cut up as the main problem
is the Outlines from the 4L80 Trans that are Straight but need to have 90* Bends in them
4L80E FAQ – Jake's Performance

Third the Weigh difference is not that much IMO
just over 40 lbs compared to a TH400 or some other 4 Speed Auto Trans
4L80E FAQ – Jake's Performance
And if you were just going to Race the Car then a TH350 would be the Lightest Trany
but not the Strongest

I was looking at going to a 4L80-2FM but decided to have my TH400 Rebuilt as as a Manual VB with Reverse Shifting 1/2/3 instead

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I wasn't aware that we were talking about a full manual transmission... I was thinking about a full automatic...:eek: As for the floors, they might not need any cutting but some "massaging" (with a big hammer!)

Claude.;)

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I would use the Turbo 400 with a 2.75 first gear set and run a 3:08 rear end...
That is the exact same combination I had in my car when I bought it and the car felt like a slug. :boring: It is definitely more responsive and fun to drive now with a 700R4 and 3:73 gears. :thumbsup:

Claude.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would stay away from monster! They built me a stage 2 turbo 400 about 5 years ago. Took them along time and it cost alot of money. The speedo gearing was wrong from the start even after talking to them and giving them my tire size, rear end ratio. The torque converter they shipped with the trans only lasted about 2 years. They flat out suck! I called numerous times and wanted to talk to the trans builder and a manager and the teeny bopper was a pain in the ass. Wouldn't let me talk to the builder or a manager. I would have been better off with TCI or someone else.

·
Banned
1,295 Posts
I would have been better off with TCI or someone else.
You don't know that. TCI, or anyone else, has their fair share of issues also. Of course there those that don't know how to install the parts correctly or beat on them usually deny some responsibility in some of those "________ sucks" complaints.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts