Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where I can find one for recessed park wipers? My switch turns on the wipers just fine but most of the time the only way I can get them to shut off is to shut off the car. They usually try to stop, then raise slightly, and this repeats, and repeats. Not being an electrical guru I thought it might be the switch. All I've been able to find for a 70 are for cars without concealed wipers. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
That sounds more like a motor problem then a switch problem. The motor does all of the "high tech" stuff as far as parking them. The switch should be available from restoration suppliers. Try our sponser Ground Up to see if they have them.

Joe

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I agree, don't think a switch will fix your problem. Make sure the ground strap that goes around one of the isolation mounts is in good shape and not corroded. The other thing that can happen is the washer cycle cam can be hung or broken so that it thinks it is in a wash cycle all the time and therefor does not shut off with the switch.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but the switch is the same for both types of wipers. The motor is actually what parks the wipers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had the same type problem on my 70' model.
Turned out to be a rusted mechaism on the washer pump. A new pump from Napa fixed it right up, now the washers squirt and the wipers cut off when I want them too.

Never seen a bad switch cause this.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys bring up some interesting points. I know the car has the original wiper motor and washer pump. I haven't been able to get the washer pump to work and have been putting off trying a new one because I was told that the repro pumps only fit the repro wiper motors (kinda pricey). Now it sounds like I ought to bite the bullet and try replacing the wiper motor. Never thought the whole thing was that important since I don't drive the car when it rains. But I got caught in a late day shower on the 4th and it has changed my mind. Funny though, the wiper switches I see listed at Ausley's and YO say they are for cars without concealed wipers. Tried GU but there were none listed. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just so you know. I just replaced the washer pump asm on my '70 with a part from Year One. Worked just fine on the stock wiper motor and I thought it was very reasonable. The motor parks the wipers, therefore if it is not an adjustment, you will want to replace both.

L

·
0 Posts
I don't believe concealed and non-concealed use the same switch. I've seen lots of listings for the former, but never any for the latter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts