Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the 70’s do the side markers in the fender and rear side panel lights flash when turn signals activated? Or just the turn signal lights in the light in the front and rear bumpers?

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,543 Posts
Side lights are only markers. Only the front and rear flash.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ok thanks, Do they stay on when you turn headlights on. When i pull light knob to first position both the bumper lights and marker lights light up, then when i pull to second position for headlights, the bumper and marker lights shut off. Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,543 Posts
They should stay on. The earlier cars (pre '68?) shut off with the head lights but those cars did not have side markers. When cars came out with side marker for cross traffic safety, they stay on.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm. Mine turn off when headlights are on…any suggestions where to start troubleshooting?

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,543 Posts
Is it possible that you have the wrong year headlight switch?

Reactions: LeoP

·
Premium Member
14,122 Posts
Post the part number for the switch you used and someone will be able to confirm or deny it's the correct one!!

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Hmmm. Mine turn off when headlights are on…any suggestions where to start troubleshooting?
I think you better check your tail lights on the second notch too, as the 70's front markers and taillights are run off the same circuit through the brown wire off of the h/l switch.

Pull the switch send pictures of the terminals in the switch and the wires going into the connector so I can see the colors. I'm pretty sure you have a bad switch unless someone Googanized the wiring.

A pre 68 switch will function correctly in a 70 Chevelle, there is space for the extra terminal in the harness connector but no wire in that spot.

Either way, you need to pull the switch. Most likely replace it. You could disassemble it and maybe repair the issue.

This is the 68 and later switch It's missing terminal 7 as the marker lights/parking lights and taillights are ran off the terminal marked brown 5.
Organism Line Font Parallel Motor vehicle

This is the pre 68 switch. Notice the extra terminal. Fear not, it will work in later years as the connector has a blank opening in that place and all markers and tail lights are run off the 5 connector through the brown wire.
Product Automotive lighting Electronic component Machine Auto part

Pre 68 headlight connector. Notice the additional purple wire that ran the front parking lights separately from the taillights. This switch and wiring would lose power to the 7 terminal when pulled into the second position for the parking lights on pre 68's. If you have a pre 68 and wanted full time parking lights, you would move the purple wire to the 3 switch position just below the green wire as the 3 and 5 are connected by a buss bar in the switch.
Purple Finger Electrical wiring Hood Computer hardware

68 and up headlight connector. Notice no purple wire that ran the front marker lights independently from the taillights AND PARKING LIGHTS/MARKER LIGHTS, NOW RAN OFF THE SAME WIRE AS THE TAIL LIGHTS. sorry, the light blue wire looks more greenish in this picture. Notice the blank/no wire opening to the left of the lt. blue wire.
Hand Finger Thumb Circuit component Passive circuit component

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks Dutch! The diagram helped and fixed my issue. Previous owner must have used a pre 68 switch. Fixed the wires and boom. Works as it should! Thanks for the help! And damn, yes my taillights were out when headlights on!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts