Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I buy a 3 piece trunk or full trunk???? I dont mind extra work but I want it too be as perfect as possible. Im extremly well with my tig welder. just not a body man.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
I'm no welder and have never done a resto before, but I put in the 1 piece in my 70 and it fit like a glove, easier than I thought it would be.........

·
Registered
8,871 Posts
Does the 1 piece fit through the trunk opening?

LK

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
We just installed one of these on a 69, it fit between the frame without the tailpanel needing to be removed. It required a little work with some prybars, but went in without issue. Fits great as others have stated. Now onto the 67!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
does the center need replaced?

why spend the $ if you don't have to.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im all for saving money but I want the trunk repair to be un noticable. Do the gas tank braces cover the flange when completed????

·
Premium Member
16,843 Posts
The 1 piece floor comes with the braces on it and goes from the pinchweld behind the rear bumper to the overlap joint right behind the rear seat. It's a nice piece and worth installing. You have to jack the body up in order to install it as it needs to be slid in from underneath. Make sure you have NEW body mounts to set it on or it may be off when it gets welded in. IMO, it's $400 well spent.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Im all for saving money but I want the trunk repair to be un noticable. Do the gas tank braces cover the flange when completed????
you and me both:D

If your center section and gas tank braces are good, leave them.

The gas tank brace is exactly where I sectioned the pieces together. Right on the flange. This also happened to be in one of low grooves.

This was done for two reasons. 1. it gave a location to mount to and 2. I didn't have to worry about finishing from below, b/c it's not seen.

I challenge people all the time to find the seam, no ones found them yet.

Also, these were glued in. No welding what's so ever.

Tom has a valid point. It may be very alot easier to go with the whole pan. But I think you really depends on your circumstanstances. Mine were not that bad. I could not justify spending $400 and cutting the whole trunk out to replace two small 6x6 areas. In fact this was the second time it was done. The first time was 20 years ago and a large patch panel was cut down to make small pieces that were welded in. They looked like crap and you could see the repair.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spent last night cleaning pan as good as I can without blasting it. Its not near as bad as suspected. It only needs the left side piece and trunk filler. The car has been sitting since 1979 with paper and parts on top of the paper. the paper held moisture and caused the rust in the left side only.
Im going to my local parts house today and getting a 1/3 pan. im going to attemp to but weld pan in anywhere it can be seen from bottom. I dont have a mig welder just a tig. The tig works great but is very very slow. I post pics if I get it done today.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The local parts house didnt have the pan in stock. I got the day off so I would like to cut out some of the trunk for the left panel. I also need a new trunk filler between the trunk pan and quarter right behind the wheel well. Does the new pan go all the way to wheel well and trunk filler. Can I cut all this out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts