Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a '70 tilt column will work in a '67 chevelle? I know that the ignition switch for a '67 is on the dash, but will the wiring and everything work? How about the auto linkage, will it fit on the column?

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
NG, very different columns, and connector on end of turn signal wiring is a different style. (yeah you could rig the wiring but it doesnt matter cause it wont fit).. if you have a 70 tilt its a desirable piece, sell it and get the right column for your car.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hugh;

Of course it will fit! I put a 72 Monte Carlo tilt column in my 64 wagon.

I HAVE A CUTTING TORCH!

Other than the MAJOR problem of trying to figure out the wiring to the ignition switch and also the turn light switch, you have to modify the bracket that goes between the firewall and the bottom of the dash. This is the bracket that the brake pedal hangs from and you don't want it weak!

The reason that you have to modify the bracket is so that it will clear the ignition switch (which is mounted half way down the column). You practically have to cut it in half and then "reshape" the middle.

You will have to figure out a way to mate it to the steering box. I ended up using the lower section from the original column and welded it to the "slider" on the new column. That way, it would clear the headers.

And about that wiring; unless you are REAL good with a wiring diagram (one for each year car) and ohm meter, forget it.

Plus there is the fact that the outside of the column (near the steering wheel) rotates. You have to come up with some method of "locking it down". Then you can worry about shaping it so that it fits the shape of the dash.

VERY TIME CONSUMING!

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference & Wagons sections
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get the idea guys -- Don't even scr_w with it! I wasn't planning this for a car of mine. I have a tilt column for sale out of a '70 chevelle and a guy called me tonight and asked if it would fit his '67. I am not too familiar with the pre '68 chevelles, so I didn't know for sure. I didn't want to sell him something that he couldn't use. Thanks for all the immediate replies!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.