Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tach works perfectly from idle up to about 3000 rpm and then it starts fluctuating and then by what should be 5000 rpm it is swinging around down around 1500 rpm. Any ideas?
Craig

·
Registered
191 Posts
Maybe
Mine does the opposite, bounces around down low but if I give her about 1/2 throttle it smooths out, I think its just my tach. It started about 6 months ago, and I have had it for just over 2 years now

------------------
*Chris Mellow
*1970 Chevelle Malibu 355/TH350 Pearl Blue, Chrome Ralleys
*"Thats what I love about these high school girls man, I get older, and they stay the same age... yes they do!" Wooderson: Dazed and Confused

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Short of pulling it out and have it bench tested about the only thing you can do is make sure the tach wire on the coil is good and tight. Make sure the two connections on the circuit board are tight. Do you have an HEI or points ignition??
I have repaired many of these and have found a lot with bad solder joints on the circuit board.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

[This message has been edited by Steve S (edited 05-22-2001).]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve I have a '96 LT1 engine, therefore similar to HEI. The printed circuit is new but may not be good. ??? I had some ground problems at assembly caused by the cluster being coated with a clear sealer. All other gauges work OK, however the coolant temp reads high. I figured that was a sender problem. If somebody said they had a similar tach problem and it turned out to be a poor ground....then I would take the dash apart and scrub some more. If it is a tach circuit problem, my guess was that is would not work right at any rpm.
Craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts