Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone email me pictures or explain so i can understand the differences between an ss and non ss joint? thanks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Original 1972 copyright Service Parts Manual and '70 Factory Assembly Manual both indicate that there were two rag joints in '70, manual and power. I can find no indication that '70 SS cars received anything specific.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
The Chevelle Engineer
Web Site: www.CoreComm.net/~faldrich

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 08-18-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i didn't think i remembered there being any difference either, but i have seen several posts on this board where different people indicated that the was a difference between the ss and non ss steering shafts and joints. i just thought i may have missed something over the years and want to be sure.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Big block cars and small block cars used different joints, and is one way to tell if a car is a true SS, IF the car was originally equipped with a big block to begin with.
That is to say, if you see 70 to 72 car with a big block and all the badges and with the correct instrument panel, if it has a small block style rag joint, the car is probably a well done clone. I'll have to search for the pics and post a link.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Wow, this has gotten very complicated.

Issue is whether the lower flange on the steering intermediate shaft is welded on or bolted on. Best summary I can find in from my original 1964-1972 Chevelle/Monte Carlo Service Parts list from GM Canada.

In summary, bolted flanges were used on:
- big block cars
- cars with tilt steering wheels
------------------
Fred Aldrich
The Chevelle Engineer
Web Site: www.CoreComm.net/~faldrich

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 08-18-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.