Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to these groups but I've been reading the various posts for a while. I bought a 70 SS last month. The car is in great shape and is a true SS body. However, the previous owner replaced the original 396/4 speed manual with a 307/350TH automatic. He said the original motor was shot. It has a Quadrajet 4bbl with headers and actually has quite a bit of pep; especially with the 12 bolt posi rear end. I guess what bothers me is trying to decide if I should go to the expense of finding and re-installing a big block, or settle for what I have. The car has antique license plates and is only driven occasionaly and to shows.

·
Registered
777 Posts
:O
He did WHAT?!?!? Did you get a build sheet or a protect-o-plate with this car? I would seriously check the credentials. You cannot tell a TRUE SS by the VIN on this car.

------------------
Fred
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Registered
131 Posts
Personally, I don't think you've lived if you haven't experienced the rumble and power of a well-built big block. What's the point of buying a '70 SS with a replacement small block? Just my $.02.

------------------
Stan Hanek
'70 SS - 396 4 sp.
[email protected]

·
Registered
321 Posts
Amen, Stan. Amen.

------------------
??michael Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

·
Registered
33 Posts
Let the hunt begin!! Half the fun of doing this car stuff is hitting the swap meet to find the parts it takes to return a true muscle car to way it's supposed to be. Do it as the budget allows and have fun!

------------------
Gregg
Gold #99
70 SS Convt. / 70 SS LS5

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
70 ssgk
my veiw of a 70 ss-tire smoke,engin howling,nose picked up terror!and yes,BIG BLOOOOOOOOCK!Pull that 307 and locate a 402 or 454!these cars were giants and should not have mice under the hood.nothin agaist small blocks,but70 ss should have a motor to back those emblems. think big block when you go to sleep tonight,maybe you will dream about flyin down the street in your70.motor screamin,tach stuffed,hands sweatin,eyes bulging out,tely poles flyin by,with a big smile,then you pass the guy drivin the garbage truck,ya know, the guy you sold the 307 to!o.k. just kiddin!I would go BIG BLOCK,but these are just my thoughts. good day,70
67rat member #199
btw, this post was not ment to put down 307s,Its just a way to drill into 70s brain!
[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 08-12-99).]

[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 08-12-99).]

·
Registered
84 Posts
thats real wierd. I'd be checking things REAL close like about that SS claim. I have a clone and I'm slowly but surely losing the SB/TH350/10-Bolt drivetrain for the real deal. Are you sure the prev owner didn't just do the rear and get tired. Cowl induction hoods are an aftermaket item and 12 bolts are out there. I'd wonder....

------------------
members.tripod.com/dfdolerjr

[This message has been edited by ddoler (edited 08-12-99).]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK guys. I'm on the look-out for a BIG block. Thanks for the input.

L

·
0 Posts
IMHO, the 307 is best suited for duty on the end of a chain. Ok...maybe a gross exageration, but still...

Real SS or not, look for a big-block, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
313 Posts
70, check the fuel line size. If you have a 3/8th line, it is most likely a true SS. If you have a 5/16, the car was an Malibu cloned into a SS. It may be hard to tell if you haven't seen the two side by side before, so you may want to get a short piece of both sizes of copper tubing from your local hardware store to hold next to your fuel line. I bring this up since you deserve to know if the guy misrepresented what he sold you, also since if you did swap out the motor, you will need the bigger line to feed that thing. To clone an old saying, once you've had big block, you'll never go back.
john walker

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.