Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just converted my lights to gauges and I am unable to locate the dark green wire for the sending unit. I found a dark green wire coming out of the fuse-block running towards the left front of the vehicle, but it didn't work. That wire caused the gauge to move full left when the lights were turned on. Is there an easier location to find this wire?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
There should be only one dark green wire in the forward lamp harness. That being the one that should connect to the temp sender. It should have been connected to the temp switch for the indicating light. I’m assuming you modified the light dash harness to use it for the gauge dash, make sure the mods are correct. It sounds like the dark green wire is making contact with either the tan low beam or the light green high beam wire. It could be in the forward lamp harness. Check for burned or damaged wire between the bulk head connector and where the temp sender wire exits the harness.

·
Registered
886 Posts
It's been awhile since I've done this conversion, but I seem to recall that the temp sending wire is one of those that has to be moved in the master plug-in. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure the wire to the back of the gauge plug-in green. If you don't already have one, you should get a wiring diagram to make sure you move all the wires to their appropriate place in the plug-in. If you can't get access to one, you may email me and I'll look in up in my manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made all changes to the dash connector as per the instructions for the kit. The original wire was no where to be found because an after market gauge was installed and the wire used ran directly to the gauge. The instructions said to splice into the dark green wire of the original sending unit. I unwraped the wire harness in the engine compartment and found a dark green wire. When I spliced into it, it caused my temp gauge to react only when I turned on my light switch. The needle only moved to the low temp side of the gauge. This should be an easy installation. Just one wire to find!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts